The Fifth Britain: 19

'Drystan!' I hissed, putting my lips close to the nearest wall. I was in the entrance hall of Millie's farmhouse. I did not know if proximity to the wall would help him to hear me any better, but it seemed worth a try. I had to repeat his name several times before I could get his attention, so intent was he upon his argument with Millie.

What is it? he snapped at last.

'We are missing one of our number, and the most dangerous one at that. We cannot begin until she's found.'

Describe her.

I did that, painting as vivid a picture of Fenella as I had last seen her as I could.

Drystan went quiet for a while, to Millie's delight, who began another song.

She is found, Drystan whispered to me. Dulcina of Moondance Cottage has sighted her traversing the cliff's edge. It is thought that she is attempting to reach my brother's spire.

Had she somehow guessed our intentions and fled from the farmhouse, or did she have some other purpose in mind for the spire? Either way, I wondered how she had managed to evade the allure of the many houses and cottages along the way. Not even I had accomplished that, despite being forewarned.

I bundled my precious pup into the Baron's arms and left the farmhouse at a run.

Melmidoc had parked his spire at the other end of the cliff road from Millie's farmhouse. It was not difficult to spot, for the sun was sinking fast and the Starstone Spire blazed with eerie, beautiful blue light. I suppose it proved a natural beacon for Fenella to aim for. Who wouldn't be intrigued by such a display?

I tore after her. My bare feet objected strenuously to this treatment, for the ground was stony and I had not time to take care where I placed my steps. But I gained steadily upon Fenella, ignoring the stinging of my lacerated feet and the heaviness in my limbs that tiredness had wrought.

It was only once I had almost caught her that I realised I, once again, had no plan. What was I going to do, haul her bodily back to the farmhouse? Hah. She was several inches taller than me, and I had no idea what her magickal capabilities were. For all I knew, she was a better practitioner than me, too.

'Fenella!' I shouted. 'This won't do.'

She glanced over her shoulder at me, but rather than stop and talk, as I had hoped, she only ran faster towards Melmidoc's spire. Once she knew herself pursued, she picked up speed and soon began to outpace me. Damn her and her long legs. It didn't help that I was winded and slowing down. I'm a walker more than a runner. It's not my talent.

Melmidoc, though, was awake. Fenella never reached the door, for when she got within ten feet of it, running at full tilt, she bounced off... something, and ended flat on her back on the ground, staring dazed at the darkening sky.

I am afraid I am invitation only, remarked Melmidoc.

Fenella snarled with chagrin, and stared up at me with blazing hatred. 'Bloody Society,' she spat. 'Must you destroy everything?'

'Actually,' I panted, my burning lungs drawing great gulps of air. 'I think it's you bidding fair to destroy everything.'

'I don't want to cause any harm.' She picked herself up slowly, touching a hand to her bloodied nose. 'I just want...'

'What?' I prompted. 'Everything you want will cause untold damage to this place, Fenella, and to our Britain as well. It doesn't matter whether that's the goal or not.'

She gave me a look of intense dislike and, without warning, began to run again.

I watched her go. I knew I didn't have it in me to catch her a second time.