17 - Charles Leclerc

Start from the beginning

He'd broken up with her because he wanted to concentrate on his career and there was no way Veronica was going to be accused of holding someone back. It wasn't that she didn't love Charles enough to fight for him, the truth was, she already knew he'd made up his mind and there was not a single thing she could have said to change it. 

Veronica took the photo and carried it into the kitchen, where she threw it into the bin. She knew she had to make a change if she didn't she'd just hold on to him forever. Slipping her feet into her shoes that were by the door, she grabbed her bag before leaving the house, letting the door lock behind her as she went. 

Taking a short walk to the shop, she was had a short shopping list prepared in her head. Walking through the tourist-filled streets, she managed to blend in with everyone before stepping into the local pharmacy. Looking around the aisles, she took her time, her eyes glancing at what she really needed to buy as she walked. 

"Veronica?" She looked up and was surprised when she saw Charles' sister, Victoria. She had her hands curled around the handles of the overly large pram as she smiled at the girl in front of her. 

"Hi," Veronica was awkward as she spoke to the woman who she'd become quite close with over the years. "What are you doing here?"

Victoria sighed, "Just popping in on the way to my ma's. Lola isn't feeling so good, so I thought I would pick her something up."

The younger woman peered into the pram, her eyes filling with tears as she stared at the tiny baby before her who was luckily sleeping. "She's so precious," Veronica's voice was almost a whisper as she looked back up with Victoria. "I have to go."

"Wait," Victoria said, halting the younger one in her tracks, "Charles is on his way home."

Veronica looked away, her eyes glancing to the shelf before she looked back to her friend. "He's made it quite clear that we're not getting back together," Veronica reminded her before glancing at the product she wanted again before shaking her head. "I really have to go," she told her once more before turning and leaving this time. 

She really didn't want to see Charles, not when she was feeling like this. She didn't want guilt to be the reason they got back together. 

XOXOX

Victoria made her way to her mother's home, her mother was there waiting for her. The family was going through a tough time. The oldest sibling, Camilla, had called the family to be with her in her time of need. Camilla's youngest child was currently in the hospital after she'd lost her husband just last year she needed her family more than ever. 

"Are we ready to leave?" Victoria called out to her mother as she left the pram in the hallway and walked through to the kitchen where her mother and brother were sitting. She looked at her brother and smiled, "You got here quick."

Charles nodded as he got to his feet and walked over to his sister, pulling her into a hug. "Family comes first," he said as he held his older sister close to him. "Where is my gorgeous niece?"

"She's sleeping," Victoria pulled away and looked up at her mother with a stern look. "Don't you dare try to wake her up, she's not been feeling well."

"Did you manage to get her something from the chemist?" Pascale, their mother, asked as she got to her feet and walked over to her younger children. 

Victoria nodded, "Yeah, I didn't want to take her to the hospital when she's grizzling. Oh," she walked back through to the living room, her mother and brother following. "I saw Veronica in the pharmacy."

"How is she?" Their mother asked as she looked down at her granddaughter, who was still sleeping soundly. "I haven't seen her recently." She looked over at her son as Victoria pushed the pram towards the door so they could exit the house.