CHAPTER 39: HOT AND DANGEROUSLY BOTHERED

Start from the beginning

"We met because a girl tried to stab me with a damn broken beer bottle. Be thankful she's in another country right now."

"Okay, so it's usually men," I amend.

"Michelle had a female stalker, and have you met Savanna 's family?"

It occurs to me that we're talking like my life isn't at stake here, and I realize he's trying to distract me. It doesn't work because something that sounds like glass crashes somewhere in the house, and I yelp.

"Beyoncé! The fuck?"

"Something just broke," I whisper, slinking back away from the door.

"Just stay put and stay quiet."

"Says the guy who is on the phone and talking to me," I retort.

Lights blur by me, and a car skids to a halt outside. Relief fills me like cool water when I see it's Shawn's car.

"I'm here," he says as the phone goes dead.

My breath freezes in my lungs when I hear the front door slam, and fear seizes my momentary reprieve. What if Shawn gets hurt? What if the guy has a gun or a machete or something?

Minutes feel like hours, and my stomach roils and twists with palpable anxiety.

When I hear a loud bout of cursing, I jerk open the door, grabbing the only thing in my room that will do some damage as I dart out to save an unarmed Shawn. A new sense of courage fills me and I launch myself at the shadowy figure, raising my hands above my head to bring my Magic Wand down on the psycho.

But my hands freeze, suspended midair, when Shawn flips on the light and smirks at me.

"That's twice you've brought your toy out for me," he states dryly.

He tosses a flashlight to the ground, rolling his eyes at me.

"There's no one here," he adds as I lower the vibrator that is masquerading as a weapon. A frown forms on my lips as I drop the vibrator to the table beside me.

"I swear someone is here."

He arches an eyebrow before tugging me to him. "If you wanted to see me, all you had to do was call. Freaking me out like this isn't cool," he goes on, apparently convinced I'm playing little-girl games.

I scowl at him, ready to say something to wipe that smug, condescending look off his face, when something zooms by us, and my eyes catch sight of a hairless, massive rat.

I scream and leap up on Shawn, practically strangling him as I climb him like a freaking tree. He coughs and chokes, but I only squeeze tighter when the hairless beast zooms by again.

"The fuck is that?" he chokes out, tugging my arms looser around his neck so he can breathe

"A rat! A big fucking rat! I'm burning my house down and moving in with you! Go, Gigantor! Get me the hell out of here now!"