Back Into the Darkness

10/6/19

Swimming through darkness, deep into a well. An abyss of sorts, maybe of a contorted strangeness. Faint voices, mumbled ones, all overlapping one another. Buzzes and screaming, all rather faint. Hisses and whispers, surrounding you yet seemingly not even there at all. Everything followed you, probably because it felt like you were going in circles. What was there to tell? It was a vast, empty void you were swimming through.

Your arms struggled to propel you forward, to push through the thick, constricting substance all around you that tried to consume you alive. Your legs calmly flipping in sync with your arms, trying not to stay motionless for long, for if they did, you would fall victim to the trap. Your eyes, trying to stay open yet still not used to the toxic blackness that surrounded you. It was your only means of survival, your only way of searching.

The only solution was to swim. To push past the hushed voices all around you until you heard any familiar one. To maybe find a light that had been lost, one of a former hope or previous life. To recognize something, anything, that would prove useful. Just a sign, even the smallest possible one. Anything to help you out, to help them out. Anything.

Continuing to force your way through the darkness, through the suffocating trap around you, you eventually found it, a sign. It was there, but not physically so to speak. It was a light, a familiar kind of light. Relief and excitement washed over you as you quickened your pace, trying to move faster. The closer you got, the louder the familiar whisper got that surrounded the light. Standing out above the rest, you were sure it was one you were looking for.

However, just as soon as you quickened your pace, the light died out in an instant, taking the voice with it, the one that had been unheard for such a long while. You wanted to let out a disheartened sigh, but you couldn't open your mouth. Not in this type of abyss.

You turned your attention to the object wrapped around your waist, which trailed behind you through and into the darkness. Giving it a decent tug, you began to feel yourself be forcefully pulled back the way you came, effortlessly ripping right through the substance that enveloped you. As you went flying through the darkness, eventually seeing a warm light fading into view. And soon, you burst free.

A sharp gasp escaped your lips as you inhaled quickly and deeply, trying to catch your breath. Being down there for so long, it had taken a lot of training for you to be able to hold your breath as long as you have been. It was an outstanding accomplishment, really, but it was direly needed regardless.

You grabbed the outstretched hand in front of you with no hesitation, allowing them to swiftly pull your body out of the endless ocean of ink and onto the dusty, creaky floorboards. Splotches of ink clung to your skin in many places, and even more of it knotted your hair. None of that mattered, however, for you could only think about how relived you were to be free from the ink at the moment.

As you panted slightly, still trying to catch your breath, you looked up at the person before you. You smiled warmly at him, seeing his concerned expression. Although ink covered his eyes permanently, which you honestly weren't even sure if he had any, you could just tell by his mouth, which was slightly curved downward with worry and opened just a crack.

"I'm fine, Bendy." You told the Ink Demon with a reassuring grin. "I promise."

"Are you sure?" He asked you with such a worried tone that it tugged at your heart. "I don't want you going back down there anymore today if it's tiring you out this much."

"I already planned on it." You nodded.

He nodded back as well, placing an ink heart to your forehead as he unwrapped the rope from round your waist. He coiled it up and handed it to you, allowing you to sling it back crosswise over your shoulder where it belonged. He also handed you an old time handheld transceiver, or a walkie-talkie as others call it, after you put your adventuring belt back on around your waist where the rope has just been tied.