Chapter Six - Escaped but trapped

As I began to come to I felt myself being jiggled about as if I was in a car. I woke to find myself leaning on mama who was barely conscious. Next to us and behind us was the people who had come with us to the place we found mama. Everything was blurry and my head hurt worse than I could ever imagine. As I held my head with one hand I partially saw the doors to the car open and someone hurrying the people who were with us out of the car. I strained to see better but sadly no luck as it just made my head and vision worse. I felt dizzy and sick then I heard a voice "Quick hurry home. Don't tell anyone where you've been don't mention anything okay go quickly" before all the side doors were shut and what I assume was the driver's door open then close as it seemed someone got in. Shortly after the car started and I was being jiggled about again. I tried to keep my eyes open but the pain in my head was too much and before I knew it my eyes had forced themselves shut, I was out cold again.

After rescuing his mother, sister and friends Arthur huddled them all into the car as quickly as he could. Even though his father was laying motionless on the floor as he was carrying everybody to the car he still didn't fancy another face off with that brute. Luckily he and everyone had got away safely he dropped off their friends just outside of town. Those who couldn't walk on their own were helped by others once he knew they would be okay he got back in the car and drove off. He had no clue where he was going but he figured as much distance between them and that monster was better. After driving around for awhile he found an abandoned cabin not far from the town line. He remembered his mother had said only him and Willow could leave so it would be best if they rested up till they could figure out how they were going to get out of this. After carrying his mother and sister into the cabin he placed them on the just about functional double bed before starting a fire and hiding the car with a lot of leaves. He used whatever he could find to aid in catching and preparing food for them. Surprisingly it worked and by the time the two of them came around properly they had some nice rabbit to dig into.

Cassandra tried to contain her animal like response to having such nice food in a plentiful amount but it was hard especially as Matthias barely fed her all the years he kept her captive. He fed her just enough to keep her alive so he could continue beating her. When she had finished her food she looked at her children, her babies who were no longer babies. She started to cry a little she had missed out on so much. Their first word, first steps all their firsts. She kept reminding herself that she had to send Willow away with her sister. After all the second Matthias had got his hands on Willow he would have killed her. Besides Willow needed to live as she and Arthur needed to defeat their father plus his band of followers and save the town. She had cast the time distortion and barrier spell to keep Matthias trapped here so he couldn't follow Willow and cause god knows how much chaos, destruction even to find her. Once upon a time she genuinely had loved him and thought he was a kind man. But the second he found out about her he changed and she realised who he was. She couldn't unleash that untamed cruelty on an unsuspecting world or her daughter. After all he was her problem. Just the lack of powers after casting such a big spell was something she couldn't predict but at least Willow was safe.

After food mama told us everything it was a lot to swallow. But it made total sense. Our father seemed like the perfect man until he realised mama was a witch. She did everything she did for us. I felt horrible for zoning in on the fact that I missed out on so much when it came to my family. But I couldn't help it. Knowing what we know now part of me wished it didn't have to be like this. I think mama knew that part of us felt this way as bless her she couldn't stop apologizing. It was dark now we hadn't heard a peep from that monster. I began to wonder if I had killed him. My head still hurt and I was so tired. My eyelids literally felt like I had mini weights weighing down on them. The wood floor felt uncomfortable under my backside. Eventually I had no choice and I positioned myself to lay down on the hard wood floor then I fell asleep just as I felt someone put something over me. It felt good to sleep every inch of my body was screaming at me in pain. I don't think I had ever felt this tired before. As I slept I heard a woman singing I think it was mama but I couldn't be sure. I couldn't see anyone and everything was black. I felt as though I was walking around in the dark.

At some point it seemed like I had finally got to where I was walking to. Ahead of me in the darkness was a singular beam of light. As I got closer everything was light again. I looked around me and the room I was in seemed familiar it was my old room before I came here to this town. Then I heard it again the woman singing. I turned around to face the window behind me and there she was. My aunty whom I thought was my grandmother. She was facing away from me on a rocking chair holding what seemed to be a baby. Was that me? As a baby I mean. I slowly approached them as I went to put my hand on my aunty's shoulder she and the baby were gone. Almost as if they were never there. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder I quickly spun around ready to punch someone when my hand was stopped. I blinked and there she was my aunty blocking my hand from hitting her. I quickly retracted my hand "I'm terribly sorry I didn't mean to do that please forgive me" I said anxiously as she cut me off as she held my face both her hands. She looked deep in my eyes and smiled as tears streamed down my face.

She pulled me close for a hug she held me close and she felt so familiar. She felt most importantly safe I didn't want to leave. Then she tapped me lightly so I straightened up. Her smile had disappeared. "Their coming" she said eerily. "What? Who's coming?" I replied frantically. "Run" she whispered before she was ripped away from me and disappeared into the darkness. I looked around for her frantically in a panic but I couldn't see her I was surrounded by nothing but blackness. It felt as though I was being consumed by the cold darkness as I started to have trouble breathing. It felt as though I was trapped with no way out that the walls of the darkness were closing in that's when I heard it. Instead of an eerie silence a sickening laughter that sent a shiver up my spine filled my ears. I turned around to find the monster that was unfortunately my father lunging at me. I woke up with a start. Something was drawing me to the window. I drew back the matted curtain to find bright lights in the distance getting closer. I squinted to see better and that's when I saw them. A mob, my monster of a father had gathered a mob against us and they were marching on the cabin getting closer by the minute. Without a second thought I woke up my brother and mother. We barricaded ourselves in with any old furniture we could find or move blocking all the entry points.

After that was done we huddled in the middle of the small living room. Watching every inch of the rest of the cabin around us. I suggested I do a spell to make them go away obviously not one that would hurt anyone who wasn't our monster of a father. But mama said I was still to weak. To be fair she was probably right. Every inch of my body still hurt and my head well that was still hurting just not as bad. My brother was in full protection mode. He was crouched down and his arm holding his make shift knife he had made to kill the rabbits we ate was up in a stabbing position looking like he was ready to attack anyone who entered. It was odd it seemed my shy adorable brother had turned wanna be wild adventurer guy overnight. I didn't even know he could kill and skin a rabbit let alone know how to make a knife to do so when he didn't have one already. Odd things to zone in on while a mob who wants us dead was now surrounding the cabin I know but I couldn't help it. If this was the last time I was going to see him or mama I didn't want it to be a case of boom gone I wanted to notice as much as possible about them. I'm strange I know that but I think everyone is in their own quirky ways. My train of thought was broken by my father's booming and sickening voice.

"In the cabin before us lies the monsters that have plagued our town for many generations. Who are the reason we are trapped as the world around us moves on. While we are ignorant to the fact our children go missing every time they come of age. Join me as I cleanse this town of the evil that laughs in our faces. It is gods will let us see they no longer see the light of day." Matthias roared as angry shouts followed his speech. Some of the mob tried to enter the doors and the Windows but found them blocked. They told Matthias this to which he replied "Burn it". Part of Willow hoped her father was joking but sadly he was not. Flames began to engulf the cabin as the three of them began coughing uncontrollably. Cassandra frantically tried to think of something she could do to save them. But she was come up blank. Willow and Arthur weren't having much luck either. Fire continued to consume the cabin. There seemed like no way out and the twins were still weak from the fight with their father so they all huddled together as their mother tried to sing to them. One by one the three of them lost consciousness. Everything was black.