Chapter Four - Operation Truth

It had been three days since Arthur and I decided to join together to find out the truth. To discover if the threat the town faced was real. Since then at least five more people had joined us. Others who believed or were curious enough to do something about it. We used my room at the hostel I'd been staying at as a base so to speak. We were using Arthur's house but it became more and more obvious that Mr McDowell didn't like me one bit. At first it was bearable and only I noticed the glares of pure hatred as he passed the door way of whatever room we were in. But then Arthur and the others began to notice as well. The tension in the place began to be just unbearable. So moving it to my room seemed like the safest option. At least we could get our work done in peace. Without Mr McDowell weighing in with his opinions. One's we did not ask for I might add but he felt the need to voice them regardless. For the three days we'd been investigating for. We'd gone to the library and checked out every single book, map or anything else about the curse etc. I dare say the librarian must have thought us insane or something. We interviewed people who claimed to be descendant of the townsfolk who were supposedly around when Cassandra was. Of course they sounded like insane lunatics. Some believed in the curse so much that some of them actually believed they were Cassandra herself.

Now on day three it was proving harder to discover the truth. We were sat in my small barely colorful room staring at all the notes we had made. My dining table was full of maps, newspaper reports, the lot. But no solid evidence that Cassandra even existed let alone was around to cast a curse on an entire town. We had hit a dead end and my god did it feel like a slap in the face. Almost as though it was next to impossible. But then Arthur suggested something that not only restored my faith in our mission it also made me very curious. He suggested that we visit the home where Cassandra Le Fleur supposedly lived with her husband the Preacher's son before he apparently turned on her. It was a genius plan wish I had thought of it myself. It took us less than half and hour to drive there. When we arrived I could hardly believe my eyes. It was huge. An old fashioned mansion. I looked at Arthur puzzled as we got out of the car and approached this colossal building. "How on earth did they afford to live here?" I asked feeling as though I should already know the answer. This place seemed familiar I just didn't know how. "Cassandra came to Huntington with savings and plus the Preacher's son came from money. The Preacher's son built this mansion himself with workman from the town. Though no one knows how they had so much money. As a Preacher isn't really supposed to have lots of money. It's been another mystery for this town but no one has ever thought to investigate it. Perhaps after we save the town we can look into that ourselves. Who knows maybe start our own detective agency." He said with a slight giggle towards the end. This joke made me giggle too but he was right that is odd. A Preacher with loads of money that can't be right.

But it was something that was going to have to wait. "Fan out everyone. Search this place from top to bottom. Every nook and cranny. We have exactly four days till the full moon and the event that will possibly bring about this town's destruction. Being a possible descendant of Cassandra I can't allow that to happen." I said as we entered the mansion almost as though we were trained operatives. The mansion was empty no one lived here Arthur informed me before disappearing to do his part in the search. But the furniture remained as though it was just waiting for someone to return. There was no sheets over any of them. Not like the big houses on television when they weren't in use. The sheets were meant to keep away the dust etc. To protect the furniture. As we continued our search I remembered a scene from a film where in an old house they were searching it had hidden rooms and tunnels. So I prompted the others to do as I was doing and look for levers, buttons anything that could unlock anything hidden. They followed my example and sure enough a secret room was found.

It shocked me just as much as it did the rest of them. Without hesitation we entered. I expected to find a cauldron, spell books maybe but instead I found weapons tons of weapons. In all different shapes and sizes some that looked like they shouldn't exist because the design of them seemed far beyond what a mere human could comprehend. Something was nagging at the back of my mind. A memory perhaps. "WILLOW!" a voice yelled and interrupted my chain of thought. I looked around the room to see who wasn't with us it was Arthur. "WILLOW!! COME QUICK UPSTAIRS" he yelled at the top of his voice. Without a second thought I was darting upstairs and following his voice. When I got upstairs and got closer to him he was standing in the door way to a room. I look puzzled as I approached him saying "God! Arthur you scared me I thought something was wrong. What is it what are you looking at.". I went to turn my head and look inside the room but he grabbed me startling me so I couldn't. My head made a hasty retreat to look at an overly excited Arthur. "Cassandra had twins! Look! Look!. Two cots in there. This was her home and no one has lived here since. So they are for no one else's children." He excitedly told me.