Blood and Metal

Belgium Congo, 1918

He blue orbs stared straight into darkness, trying to navigate his way, his pale skin was irritated by the exotic flowers and plants he was walking through. He urged to scratch himself, however that was not an option, his hands were occupied by the large weapon, putting it down could result in death after all he was in a war. Although he was only fifteen years old, he was enlisted in the German army due to his father's deception.

Hans was a tall and muscular boy for his age but he was still a boy, that didn't stop his father from forging a birth certificate that stated that he was eighteen perfect for conscription. The war wasn't looking good for the German Empire, being the patriot he was Wilhelm Müller offered both of his sons though Wilhelm Jr was an appropriate age at twenty one, unlike the innocent fifteen year old, though innocent was the last word Hans would like to be described as, he had lost that right when he allowed a woman to lay with him.

Frau Lahm, a part of him was glad to be away from home so he could be far away from her, she had done things to him that he would rather not think about. He had tried talking to his school headmaster about it, a man whom he trusted, but the man disappointed him by laughing it off, claiming that many boys his age would yearn to be in his position, having a beautiful dame twice his age between his sheets.

He felt alone, his mother was a shell of a person and his father a heavy drinker. He had formulated a plan to escape him, to build a new life away from his torment but his mother alerted the man about his plans after she refused, that resulted in brand new scars courtesy of his father    there were periods when he thought of ending his own life, but he knew his mother and brother needed him and now he was fighting alongside his brother, whom he had missed dearly, he was scared of fighting but he knew that he had his brother to protect him.

"I think there's a place to rest nearby". Wilhelm said breaking him out of his thoughts.

"My feet are sore". Hans said, they had been walking for over three hours and his teenage body was beginning to shut down with exhaustion.

"You can relax once we reach a safe place". His brother said and he nodded in agreement, after another gruelling fifteen minutes they finally reached a place that Wilhelm deemed safe, they were hidden enough for the enemy but also open enough for allies, it was the perfect spot. He sighed putting down his large bag and weapon, whilst Wilhelm made a makeshift tent. Hans finally sat down in what felt like forever, his shaky hands went to his boots to untie the laces. He winced as slowly removed them, seeing his white socks now red with blood.

"Pour alcohol on it, so it went get infected". Wilhelm who was busy with the fire advices his little brother, if it was up to him the boy wouldn't be nowhere near the war.

Even though physically he was intimidating for his age due to their father's vigorous training, he was still a very sensitive boy. Hans had always been soft spoken but a big dreamer, the kid had his head in the clouds and was far too innocent in Wilhelm's opinion. He had always protected his brother, often taking beatings from his father for him. He was worried that he would be forever damaged by he had to witness, though he had not seen anything heavy, it was evident that he would.

"I need something to numb the pain". Hans cried feeling the alcohol sting his wounds. Wilhelm sighed, he was quite reluctant to do what he was thinking but he knew the boy was in a significant amount of pain.

"Here, drink this but not too much". He said giving him a flask of whiskey, the last thing he wanted was to get his fifteen year old brother drunk but he had no other choice besides he would sleep better which he had been lacking. He watched the boy wince with each sip he took, little did he know he was introducing him to coping mechanism that he would struggle with for the rest of his life.

Italics indicates German.

Do you think I should continue with chapters of Hans childhood.

Thoughts?. Please vote comment and share Peace out peeps