I don't remember packing a bag for the trip, and the fog in my mind won't clear enough to remember the ins and outs of this whole outing. I think we're going for two days, but I don't think we've booked a return flight, so that might be wrong. Unless we're going with the intention of staying two days, but keeping the return flight open in case. I don't know. I can't remember. What's wrong with me?

I toddle behind the group as we queue up for check-in, partly because of my current state, and partly because I've got no idea how this all works considering I've never flown on a plane before. Not beyond the age of eight anyway. It's loud in here. Everything people are saying, everything they're doing feels dragged out. It's as if the world is working in slow motion, and even then, I can't keep up with what's going on.

I realise I'm staring at the floor, so lift my head to see we're at the front of the queue. The slender woman behind the airport desk is talking to me as she checks my ID, but she's speaking too fast and I can't process what she's saying, so I just nod a bit. I think she asks me if I'm okay at one point. Next is security.

As I'm waiting to have my stuff checked, Tom has several things confiscated, one of them being a full pint of milk for some unexplained reason. Another confiscation is two unopened cans of energy drink, and I stop him as he's about to throw them into the bin. That's exactly what I need. I down both in under twenty seconds each as if my life depends on it.

By the time we make it past security, I'm awake. Hell am I awake. My vision is still messed up and my body feels heavy, but I'm definitely awake. We're gathered around a row of chairs in the departure lounge, and while Carmen sleeps, everyone else sits quietly eating some snacks they bought from one of the airport shops. I don't know why no one is speaking. I'm the only one standing, and I hop from one foot to the other as I fill the silence.

"I've never been on a plane before, did I tell you that? Never done it. Didn't really do holidays as a kid. Well, that's a lie, this one foster family of mine went to Cornwall a few times a year. Boring as hell. Nice beaches though. Sheffield doesn't have beaches." Still no one's speaking, so I figure I might as well continue. "Have you guys ever been to Cornwall? Shit, right? Bloody sheep everywhere. At least have some cows, maybe throw a few horses in there, y'know? Sheep are shit."

"Mate, what the hell are you chatting?" Tom finally inputs into my one-way conversation. He laughs. "I should've slipped you an energy drink months ago."

"Y'know, farm animals. If I wanted to turn to farm life, I'd pick something more interesting than sheep, y'know?" I'm still dancing on the spot. "I was never allowed energy drinks as a kid. Don't even know when I last had one. Don't know if I ever have actually, come to--Oh wait, no I definitely have. In rebellion when I was, like, twelve or something. Got into some right trouble from it. Did I tell you I have ADHD? Energy drinks are bad for it apparently, but I read somewhere that caffeine can help concentration for people with ADHD, so pretty sure I was bullshitted as a kid. But yeah, I've got it anyway, just a heads up."

"Really? I wouldn't have guessed," Jamie scoffs under his breath. "Can you go back to quietly talking to yourself in a corner, please? You're giving me a headache."

"Huh? What do you--Oh, in the car! I'll have you know I was dreaming. About you, in fact." I wink at him. "That means exactly what you think it does." It doesn't really, but I think he was in the car at one point in one of my dreams. I don't know, probably. "Does the world feel weird to any of you guys? I know I'm a bit hyped up from the drinks, but not that, more like... like everything is kind of hazy and slow, y'know?"

Everyone just stares at me in response, except for Carmen who's somehow managing to stay asleep. That's a no then. I really need a pee. I excuse myself from the group, and wander around the departure lounge until I find the men's toilets. I'm glad I don't feel exhausted anymore, but I wish everything else was back to normal. I stare into the bathroom mirror to try and steady my vision, but it's fruitless. I sigh. I probably just need to sleep on it.