thirty-two: names

Start from the beginning

But a bit more tolerable, because it was his boyfriend.

"Out of your league??"

The response came late but drew an immediate chuckle from Yoongi. "Yeah," he said in agreement. "It's not really in character for me to gush about anyone's looks but Tae's, but you're...actually, probably the most attractive boy I've ever seen. You're gorgeous. My best friend and my boyfriend are the prettiest people in the world, how'd I get so lucky-"

"Yoongi..."

"Can I ask something?"

Although plainly still upset over the matter, Jimin gave a small nod. Yoongi smiled.

"Okay, so, where on earth did the nickname 'Sugabear' come from?" He asked, amused, but the faintest blush appeared on his cheeks. "Won't lie to you, kind of embarrassing, but I'm curious where that came from?"

It seemed to evoke a strong, fond memory in the blond. He didn't answer at first, instead staring deeply into the other's face even though Yoongi was currently looking at the floor. "It was kind of a joke at first," Jimin said, not missing the way the corner of Yoongi's lip curled upward. "It started out as a conversation about pet names, and...I teased you about it for a while and began calling you every possible one I could think of, and for some reason 'Sugabear' stuck. You thought it was embarrassing then, too. Said it sounded like something your aunt would call you."

"It really does. But I guess it's cute." He shrugged. "Did I call you anything embarrassing?"

"Not really."

"Ah, that's right." Yoongi nodded in understanding. "I was but a shy baby, yes?"

Jimin had to bite his lip to stop his grin from breaking through. "Yes," he said. "The shiest baby. But I loved you."

"Loved?"

"Love." He corrected himself without hesitation. "I still do."

"Good. Just making sure." Yoongi's smile was even softer now, sweet, familiar, that familiar smile that made Jimin's heart feel like it was resting on a bed of butterflies. "You gotta let me fall in love with you again. I mean, I'm already on my way. You're good at this. How long did it take the first time?"

"Uh..." Jimin had to stop to think for a moment. "Technically," he began, "ten years. We met when we were both six. You confessed to me after your sophomore graduation ceremony."

"And yours?"

"I was homeschooled."

"Ah." Another nod of understanding. "And I was the first to confess? Did shy boy Yoongi actually have mad game??"

Now this triggered a real laugh, not a mere giggle or stifled laugh, but a somewhat high-pitched noise of joy that caused Jimin's body to shake and Yoongi to go on full-alert mode.

"J-Jimin, your ribs..." He raised his hands so as to steady the boy. "Please be careful-"

"Your fault." Jimin pried open his now watery eyes to see a pale-faced Yoongi failing to stop his laughing fit. It was stopped soon, anyway, though. The sharp pain in the area above Jimin's stomach put it to an abrupt end. He wrapped his arm around himself, then drew in a deep breath, and one more.

"Jimin...h-hey, Jimin, are you okay??"

"Yeah." He needed a moment to allow the air to settle in his unhappy lungs. "Good, I'm good." Feeling Yoongi grasp his hand tenderly, his body seemed to calm all on its own. The pain subsided. "My miracle worker, I love you," he blurted. Yoongi's blush returned.

"Well, that's good." As if his own breathing had been affected, he placed a hand over his chest and sighed. "Don't scare me like that...I told you to be careful, how many times am I going to have to remind you that you were hit my a car?"

"Ten times is enough, I think I'm good..."

"You better be..."

By now Yoongi had managed to clean up the stain on the floor, with but a small yet noticeable hint of blue having stayed behind in the rug.

"You sure you're feeling okay, Jimin...?"

"I don't feel nauseous anymore," the boy replied. His voice now was soft and sleepy.

"Tired?"

"Yeah..."

"Good. You need as much rest as you can get. I'm gonna give Tae a call, so I'll be right over in the kitchen if you need me, okay, Jimin?"

"Okay, Sugabear..."

He gave in to the eyes. Without Jimin verbally asking for it, Yoongi felt the sudden urge to kiss his forehead before leaving his side.

"Sleep well, Muffin-pie."

"Ugh, Yoongi, don't make me laugh, it hurts..."

*
*
*

end of chapter thirty-two