six seconds (part two)

Everyone were gathered on the bonfire. The tents were set and a pop music was playing. The happiness we feel makes us all giddy. The students were dancing with their circle of friends and some maybe were together with their girlfriends or boyfriends.

And I was on the seashore. A little bit far from the noise because I wanted to listen to the sound of the ocean.

The ocean and the very waters on the earth amuse me for all I could think about them is they are covered with this huge mystery. No one knows what is the world deep down there. Perhaps if you could grow a tail and gills to be able to breathe on the water then you will discover the world the people always wanted to unravel.

Sometimes, we, the people, are like the ocean full of enigma. You have to dive in or dig deep to understand them and it's fascinating to the point we are into the particular someone we want discover.

I wonder if I already have discovered Nine. If I completely know every bit of him. But the new discovery I found on myself is totally new to me. Bizarre. Strange. Different.

All this time I thought I knew myself more than anyone else.

I dipped my feet on the water and the coldness of it sent shivers on my body. I could feel the sand on the skin of my feet and the little waves tickles me.

"Why are you here?"

I turned to look at him.

"Nine..." I paused and accepted the barbecues he offered.

"Nothing. I just like it here. Peaceful, I guess."

He chuckled and nodded his head perhaps agreeing to the words I said. We both sat down on the sand and like the water on the ocean, I felt the coolness on my butt.

We just sat there till we finished our barbecues. The savory marinated meat now inside our stomachs and all that's left are the sticks used.

Nine was drawing on the sand. Faces. Shapes. All he could think of.

"This is getting weird. Seriously, Nine, tell me the real reason why you were late this morning."

I know when something is bothering him. He will be silent and that's not like him. He is normally bubbly and energetic.

He sighed and threw the stick on his hand to the dark.

"I got into a fight with mom. It's about college. She wants me to study abroad but... "

He looked at me straight to my face and looked back to the drawings on the sand.

"I don't want to go anywhere. I want it here. I like it here."

"And that's why you brought alcohol with you? To get drunk because of the little misunderstanding you had with auntie?" I chuckled trying to light up the mood. He stared at me with an annoyed look on his face. I smiled at him and lightly punch him on his shoulder.

"Okay, let's get drunk."

And suddenly a smile was on his face. It's like when a child eventually received his gift from Santa. To be honest, I wanted to drink and get drunk as well to get away with the worries and confusions all over my head.

It's past midnight and the bonfire is still brightly lit. The students were asked to get on their tents to sleep.

Nine and I waited for everyone to sleep and when they did, we hurried to the seashore with all the canned alcohols he brought with him.

"Let's get drunk and fucked up."

He said and I couldn't argue more because of the smile plastered on his face.

I want him to be happy.