T h i r t y - t h r e e

America's POV:

3 days later

I groaned, pushing the pillow over my head as Nicholas's phone blared through my sleep. I didn't have to open my eyes to know what time it is. It's still dark, probably around 5 in the morning. My still aching limbs were proof of that.

Too lazy to get off the bed, I waited for Nicholas to pick up his phone.

Seconds later, he got out of bed to answer it.

His voice was barely a whisper as his bare feet padded across the room. "Hello?" The door slid open, so I assumed he went out on the terrace.

I felt sleep slowly disappearing as I waited for Nicholas. Business calls didn't take this long. I was probably worrying for nothing but I had a nagging feeling in my gut and decided to check up on him.

"Nic? Nicholas?" I whispered before clearing my throat, repeating myself louder. I stopped once I saw him sitting on the chair. He was staring straight ahead into oblivion, his eyes clearly unfocused as a million thoughts ran in his mind. His elbows were on his knees, and his stature looked so sad.

I came and stood in front of him, giving him time to notice his surroundings and collect his thoughts.

"Hey," he tried to smile but failed miserably. Brought out of his trance, I go behind him again, and put my hands on his shoulders, starting to massage them. He begins to protest, but I shush him.

"What is it this time?" I said softly, not wanting him to start worrying again, even though I knew the answer was no where near good. His state told me that.

"Maxon," he sighed, resting his head back as my hands freeze their motion.

My heart hiccuped before I forced my hands to continue massaging his shoulders, a frown now marring my forehead as I tried not to let my brain go into overdrive.

"No love, nothing bad happened" he said, bringing me around him and pulling my waist until I'm engulfed in his embrace, his fingers playing with my hair.

"Then?"

"He needs our help. Something about the southern rebels outnumbering their army because three-fourth of their troops have been deployed overseas for a war. And since we are allies, he wants our help," he stated.

"That means we have to go there too because we're the King and Queen," I added, frustrated that our vacation had to be cut short because of this. But it was necessary whether we liked it or not, because it was our duty. Besides, this was a perfect opportunity to strengthen our alliance and make it better for our people.

"America, I understand if you don't want to go. You can stay here or return to Italy with the kids and I can go handle things in Illea," he suggested.

My reply was instant. "No, not happening. I want to help and I don't care if you are against it," I firmly stated, almost aggressively yet passionately, but my heartfelt moment was interrupted by a burst of chuckle from Nicholas.

I felt offended. Did he not care about my opinion? Feeling stupid, I walked away with a 'hmph'.

I heard Nicholas calling my name but I just went back to bed and covered myself with the duvet. His footsteps approached me but I didn't move.

"America, my love, I didn't mean to hurt you in any way. I just knew you would say that, so I was not surprised at all. I love you," he said, lifting the duvet over and threw it across the bed before I had the chance to hold onto it tightly. He hugged me tightly, making sure to trap my legs with his so I don't escape. I smileD reluctantly into his chest.