Arc 2 : One Face, Two Identities (五)

Mo Ran returned to his office in the barracks. Two of his subordinates were standing around his desk. Each holding a brush and a book in their hands.

"General!" They saluted when he appeared. Mo Ran nodded and sat down to them reading the reports.

"The barbarians' movement is under our watch at all times. And the Ji Shan tribes, they seemed to have no reason to attack our South borders for now. No firepower, lacking the finances to support their military in and out."

"Good, continue with the supervision as per usual. Report immediately if they make any weird move."

"Yes, General."

"And help me investigate the feud between the Feng family and the Jin family. I want to know why the Jin family's second young master was in slumber state for such long years until recent days. Do it discreetly."

"Yes."

"Dismiss."

"Yes!" They retreated right away to gather the information he requested. Mo Ran rested his eyes. The images of Lin Jia Qian and Jin Xiao both appeared in his mind.

"They look similar, but something just doesn't feel right. If he is Lin Jia Qian, there is no way he would've forgotten about me."

He pulled out a book from under the desk. The dusty cover was slightly torn on the side and the book had long lost its original color. Mo Ran flipped the pages carefully. He remembered the book's storyline. The characters, as well as the ending. He treasured the book very much so. It was the only remnant he was left with when Lin Jia Qian mysteriously disappeared from the world.

Typical of him that he would just abduct Jin Xiao back to his own manor just because of his decent look had a resemblance to Lin Jia Qian. His actions were absurd, however, the previous incident with the Feng family made him afraid that he would lose him once again, or perhaps forever.

He wanted to keep this Jin Xiao by his side even if he might not necessarily be that one cheerful person he had loved since childhood. Remembering Lin Jia Qian's last moments... Tears fell unknowingly, staining the precious book he held dearly.

Sparrows gleeful chirping in the garden. Lin Jia Qian shifted in his sleep. Eyes drooping as he sat up lazily on the bed. Blinking, his eyes became clearer and realizing the room looked how so unfamiliar, he slapped both of his hands onto the blanket.

"I...fell asleep. How did I...? Ah...the bed..."

... it's too comfortable.

Daring to fall asleep so soundly, not to mention, in a stranger's place too, Lin Jia Qian found himself too gullible to this whole kidnapping situation he was in.

What do I do now? How do I return to Jin's manor without the wheelchair?

The door partially opened and someone stepped into the room. Lin Jia Qian lied low, wondering if it was the General that had returned. A familiar thud sound of a certain object right next to the bed and the door was once again closed.

Huh? What is it?

His wooden wheelchair was placed there. Lin Jia Qian was elated to see it but he definitely didn't show it in his expression.

Looking around to make sure no one was in the room but himself, Lin Jia Qian grabbed onto the wheelchair. Pulling it closer to the bed for easy transport.

It was arduous work, just moving from the bed to the wheelchair. He took a deep breath after the successful exchange but as he tried to move the wheels, he found a letter attached to the side. It was addressed to him. Curious him unsealed the letter to read.