Arc 1: Babysitting (五)

There was an uproar in the camp. The soldiers were bearing weapons, fighting off the barbarians assaulting their camp. Mo Ran ran out and grabbed a sword from a nearby fallen soldier. The camp was in a total mess of bloodshed and flames.

He ran all over the place, his sword dripping blood as he searched around the camp.

Where is he??

He heard an ongoing battle near the armory and rushed over. The general was fighting against a barbarian by himself. The body of the first lieutenant was lying lifelessly on the ground and the other who was always seen together with the general was nowhere to be seen.

"General! Lin Jia Qian... Where is Lin Jia Qian?!"

"Ah Qian is chasing after the other barbarian! Go help him!"

Clicking his tongue, Mo Ran ran out to chase after Lin Jia Qian. Outside the camp about 40 meters away in the forest, Lin Jia Qian and the masked barbarian were brawling without their weapons. Their skills were so similar to one another that it would be hard to tell them apart.

Earlier, when the barbarians were caught entering and setting the tents on fire, the night patrolling officers sounded the gong. Alarming everyone within the camp, including the general, Han Cheng Yan and his two lieutenants who were discussing on the royal order just arriving that evening.

They equipped themselves with swords and rushed out to kill the barbarians as they made their way towards both the food storage and the armory. The two most important tents they had to protect. Lin Jia Qian and the general went to the food storage first and found no barbarians there and realized it was the armory they were after.

By the time they reached, they found the first lieutenant stabbed in the chest, losing his life as he fell to the ground. The perpetrator was a masked barbarian with long white hair. Seemingly to be the head of the intruding group as there was a few of them, protecting the masked one.

The masked barbarian whistled as he ran out of the tent. Han Cheng Yan was going to go after him but he was occupied by the others, the remaining barbarians. Lin Jia Qian got out easily and he knew why. This was a set trap. For him. Their target was all along, him.

Lin Jia Qian couldn't care less about anything. He needed confirmation as to why that masked man's whistle sounded so familiar. The masked man stopped in his tracks when they were far enough from the camp. He chuckled.

"You... Who are you? Why did you attack our camp?"

"Lin Jia Qian, don't act dumb. You know me. And so do I know you. I do not think we will be in the same world. After all, you graduated so much later than me."

"You are..."

"So, how was it?"

"What do you mean?"

"Your general. Wasn't that your task?"

Lin Jia Qian unconsciously tightened his grip on his sword. The masked man smirked under his cover.

"I heard that if the person you are tasked to protect died before the real history, you'll be stuck in this world for your whole lifetime, well, at least until you die. I guess?"

"What was your purpose for this? To toy with me?"

"Of course! That's the fun of it!"

He laughed at Lin Jia Qian whom he had definitely pissed off. Lin Jia Qian swung his sword at the masked man but the man dodged and kicked onto the blade. It split in half at its weakest point of the sword and the blade flew and struck deep into the tree trunk.