INTERVENE ((Y/n)'s Really Bad Idea Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"I know."

Peter hesitates for a second, before pulling me into a hug. "I'm never going to stop worrying about you, (Y/n). I know how capable you are, but that doesn't stop me from worrying. You've been through hell and back already. You deserve to be able to just relax for once."

I shrug. "Eh. I think I would get bored."

He pulls away slightly as he sighs and shakes his head, a small smile forming, but it disappears just as quickly. "I suppose there's no way to talk you out of this."

I shake my head. "By the way...there is one more thing..."

I hesitate and Peter grows tense, bracing himself for bad news, but he waits patiently nonetheless.

I look up at him with determination, to show that I am completely serious about what I'm about to say. "You can't intervene until he confesses."

His eyebrows furrow. "(Y/n), if things start going south--"

"No!" I insist. "You. Can't. Intervene! If you do, the entire plan will be for nothing!"

"So what, I just stand back and do nothing as I watch you get raped?!"

"I can protect myself, Peter." I look into his eyes intensely. "You need to promise me that you won't intervene until I say so. Promise."

"(Y/n)--"

"Please."

He runs his hand over his face. Yeah, I feel kind of bad for playing that card, but this is important.

"Promise," I repeat. "Intervening before the confession could put me in even more danger, okay? So please, just trust me on this."

"Of course I trust you, (Y/n). I just don't trust him. And he's the one who will have the upper hand in this situation!" He grabs my shoulders lightly again, whether to keep himself steady or to keep me steady, I'm not sure. "It's my job to protect you, (Y/n). I decided that that would be my job long before I knew your last name was actually Stark." He grips my shoulders slightly tighter. "Just let me protect you. Please."

I cup his cheek in the palm of my hand. "After we get a confession."

..................................................................................................................................................

After a few more minutes of debating, I reminded Peter that we didn't have a lot of time, so we started to put the plan into action. He had snuck around to the back entrance of the building so he could get set up as Spider-Man and wait for me to lure Max in.

Guess it's time for my part of the plan.

Here we go.

I wander around the street, in front of the convenience store where Max is loitering, doing my best to look utterly lost and confused. I retrace my steps four times, change directions twice, and end it with looking down at my phone as if trying to find a map. I hold my phone into the air, as if trying to get service, and then I wander into the building.

I glance up at the ceiling looking for Peter, but I don't see him. I start to panic, but it fades as Peter then moves out of the shadows, in his suit, and gives me a thumbs up. I grin and he moves back into his hiding place.

"Thursday," I whisper. "Check to make sure that all of the cameras are functioning properly."

"Right away," she answers. After a moment, she says, "they are fully functional."