Chapter 14

{A/N} Mature warning up ahead. Have fun ;)

For @StarsArtemisBooks

••••••••••••••••••

Luckily the meeting wasn't for yesterday, but today.

I made Zákïël clean up the pieces of the broken vase yesterday. Afterwards we ordered take out and curled up on my couch watching reruns of an old documentary channel. Before we went to bed Zák made me cover the broken window with thorny vines. I didn't argue, someone threw a weird device containing a threat through it. Maybe next time someone will actually come through to strangle me in my sleep.

Not that they could anymore seeing as I have bear of a man in bed with me.

I woke up a few minutes ago and was now just gazing at Zákïël. I know there are still a lot of things I don't know about him — heck a million things — but I really like him. Like 'potential boyfriend' like.

I was lying on my side facing him, he had his arm over my waist and our legs tangled together intimately. Sometime in the night he had thrown his leg on top of me and had basically laid on me the entire night.

I really didn't mind though. His weight was comforting.

I lifted my hand and began to trace his features. He wasn't so perfect now that I was close enough to look at him. His nose wasn't straight and he had a scar on his upper lip.

But damn was he still sexy as all hell.

I traced his partially open lips, the sight of them making me dizzy. Zákïël scrunched his nose and I paused, hoping I hadn't woken him up. He pulled me closer to him and buried his face in my neck.

"Stop it love," he mumbled, his voice husky. Oh damn.

Hyde, calm down.

"Sorry," I mumbled. I ran my fingers through the hair on the back of his neck. He nuzzled my neck in response.

I've had this one question niggling me for ages. I couldn't help but ask him, "Why does Alabaster turn me on?"

Zák pulled back to look at me dazedly. "What?"

"It's just," I started. "Weird. He's this shadowy creature and I dunno, it's just weird." I blushed, averting my eyes from his.

Zák reached a hand out and ran his fingers gently along my scalp. I closed me eyes as a small sigh escaped me.

"He's a sexual creature," he replied. I opened my eyes and gave him a blank stare. He hurried to explain. "No, really, his whole species is like that. Back in one of the wars — don't worry about it, the planet is gone — my people used his kind to trick the warriors in their sleep into thinking they were their loved ones. They were distracted long enough for us to kill them," he explained nonchantly.

"Oh, um," because that was the best thing I could say. "That's... very tactful?"

He nodded. "Yeah, and because we're bonded and you're my mate he feels an overbearing amount of affection and protectiveness over you. Just think of him as a very horny pet."

"I don't like that image."

Zákïël laughed as he kissed my forehead. "Seriously, Alabaster is really just like that. I can't be separated from him long," he said.

I drew my eyebrows together in question. He noticed. "Again, since we're bonded we have to be together for 80% of the time."

"Oh," I said. I settled back down as Zákïël continued to run his fingers through my hair. I traced little hearts on his chest in return as we lay comfortably in the silence.