So for now, Elizabeth was on reluctant standby.

Edward and Alphonse both flinched at the mention of Scar, lowering their gazes and refusing to meet Elizabeth's eyes. If she didn't know any better she would say they looked downright guilty.

'They're both boys with growing egos. It must have really bothered them to have lost to Scar before,' Elizabeth incorrectly concluded, reaching out and giving them a sympathetic pat on the hands.

(In hindsight, had she known that both boys were going to be taunting Scar into attacking them to use themselves as bait for the homunculi, she would not have been so sympathetic.)

"I'll give you both the emergency packs, but then I have to check on Maes today," Elizabeth said, hopping up from her work bench and gathering the emergency packs. "There's a doctor in Xing whose made a medical breakthrough in stroke victims. I think he might be able to help with Maes' recovery."

"Xing, huh?" Edward asked, rubbing his chin. "Are you going to contact him?"

"I already did when I saw Maes was getting close to waking up," Elizabeth answered dismissively. "I was originally going to invite him up here, but he has family in Xing and is reluctant to leave. I'm going to talk to Gracia, and see if she might be interested in moving to Xing for his recovery."

Edward whistled while Alphonse let out a soft oh.

"That's a pretty big move," Edward observed.

"I suppose," Elizabeth said with a shrug. "But she doesn't have any living relatives here, and their daughter is young enough she could easily adjust. What matters most is Maes' recovery, right?"

"Still... I mean, that's a change of jobs, learning a new language, finding a new house," Alphonse ticked off. "Would they be able to afford it?"

"I would pay for it," Elizabeth said, waving her hand dismissively. "Maes was the first live field patient I used all of my advancements on. Studying the long term effects on his body is in my field's best interest. The doctor agrees with such, which is why he's willing to take Maes on as a pro bono and help his family adjust, in exchange for some of my plants."

"And you're okay with that?" Edward asked.

"I'm not giving him anything that could be weaponized," Elizabeth retorted. "Papa doesn't care if I pass on some better antibiotic, or whatever. Besides, it'll be sold to the public soon enough. Might as well make the most of it while I can."

Neither of the brothers could argue against that.

(óヮò)ノ*:・゚✧

The Hughes family didn't take much persuading to move.

Especially when Maes Hughes had officially woken up from his coma.

Elizabeth had stopped by as planned, and found Gracia and Elicia crying into the arms of a groggy Maes. Maes noticed Elizabeth in the doorway and offered her a tired smile, and as soon Gracia realized Elizabeth was there she rushed over to hug her tightly.

"Elizabeth!" Gracia cried out, picking up the small girl and hugging her tighter than what Elizabeth was comfortable with. "Thank—thank you—thank you—"

Elizabeth squirmed in the embrace, her face hot with embarrassment. "It's—it's fine, Mrs Hughes. How's Maes?"

Gracia reluctantly released Elizabeth, wiping at her puffy eyes as she did so. Elizabeth approached Maes, who was still holding on to his daughter.

"Can you speak?" she asked him, and he shook his head no. "Can you write?"

Again, he shook his head no.