Chapter 20

"We could have stayed in the mortal realm for the rest of the day if all you want to do is eat peaches and drink wine" Ye Hua said to his wife who was curled on his lap at the foot of a tree in the peach forest.

"I didn't know you were going to make fourth brother and the old phoenix watch A-Li when I suggested spending half the day here" She replied

"It's your half of the day, you get to decide what we do but if you change your mind now, I will not hold it against you"

"That's because you're hoping I change my mind."

"I'm not complaining but I can think of better ways to 'do nothing' with you. I guarantee you'll love them as well"

She laughed "Ye Hua, there's something I need to tell you"

"Qian Qian, what is it? You're suddenly so serious"

"We have to go to the fox den"

"Qian Qian ..."

"Come with me" She said grabbing his arm and cloud jumping to the front of Yanhua cave.

Ye Hua looked around, he hadn't been to this part of Qing Qiu. He'd started walking towards it on multiple occasions when he lived with her in the fox then but he'd always ended up expertly maneuvered towards some other place by Qian Qian, Mi Gu or one of the other immortals. He assumed it was one of the clan's holy places and they didn't want outsiders in it. He wondered what she had to tell him that could only be said here. She looked conflicted and uncertain like she was still deciding whether or not she would say what was on her mind. He wondered if it was what had been eating at her for months, since the sleeping potion incident.

Bai Qian turned around to face her husband, her heart beat so loudly in her chest that she was certain her husband could hear it. She bit her lips as she considered her approach and how much to share. Her parents had suggested telling him everything before the wedding; the immortal wedding;  but she hadn't been ready. She could not help the small smile that crept up her face as she saw him patiently watching her with eyes filled with concern. That gave her courage, Ye Hua loved her, no matter how much she shared with him, they would be fine. 

"This is the biggest secret of Qing Qiu and very few people in the world know it." She began

Ye Hua nodded in response.

"What do you know about Mo Yuan and the ghost tribe war?" She asked deciding that was as good a place to start as any

"Just what's written in the history books. Ghost lord started a rebellion and the god of war Mo Yuan led the troops of heaven to quash the rebellion. Tactical maps for the war were stolen by the traitorous immortal Xuan Nu which forced Mo Yuan to sacrifice his soul to seal the ghost lord in the Donghua bell as the only way to win the war."

"You definitely know your history books. Do you know what happened afterwards?"

"Mo Yuan and his favorite disciple were never seen or heard from again. There are different takes on the reason for this. It is one of the open puzzles of heaven, I still have people investigating and looking for them. It's one of the greatest mysteries in heaven"

Ye Hua noticed she bit her lips a little harder when he mentioned the investigation. "Qian Qian, why all these questions?"

"I know where Si Yin is" Bai Qian said and cast the spell that turned her into her male form.

Ye Hua stared at his wife, she looked amazing even in this form but still he had multiple questions "You are Si Yin"

"Yes. Mo Yuan did not take female disciples so I had to be male to get in"

"So you didn't disappear after the war, you just gave up your disguise"

"Yes"

"And Mo Yuan?"

"He said he was coming back so I couldn't let him be buried"

"Qian Qian, he's the son of the father of gods. He deserves the honor of having his body buried"

"If he was buried, he'd have no body when he comes back"

"But you figured out a way to preserve his body?"

Bai Qian smiled "come with me"

He took her hand and walked with her as she took down the magical barrier. The cave was smaller than the fox den she'd lived in, there was only one room in this cave, one large room. It was really foggy and he couldn't see much, as they got deeper inside, he realized the fog was being generated by multiple small warm water springs inside the cave. It would make for a great rejuvenating spa.

He could make out the form on the bed and knew instinctively that it was Mo Yuan but that should be impossible. The body looked like it was asleep rather than dead for 70,000 years.

"It's been 70,000 years" He said when they came to a stop in front of the bed.

"It's been 70,000 years" Bai Qian repeated with a sigh

"How is this possible? Soul jade?"

She turned to him "that's the real secret of the nine tailed foxes. One of them anyway"

"What?" Ye Hua asked

She took his hand and placed it inside her robe on her scar. He arched his eyebrow at her and started to move the hand down but she stopped him.

"Focus, dragon." she took a deep breath "feel the scar?"

"Yes"

"Regularly feeding a body with the blood from the heart of a nine tailed white fox keeps it from decomposing"

"Regularly?"

"Monthly"

"You've been stabbing your heart every month for 70,000 years to keep his body preserved." He murmured

"Till I went through the mortal phase. I haven't needed to feed him more blood since then"

"Why?"

"Shifu said to wait for him and Shifu does not disappoint those he cares for"

When they finally left the cave, Ye Hua watched her seal it and thoughts began to race through his mind. He'd looked forward to the day he found Si Yin and brought the immortal to justice for stealing Mo Yuan's divine body. The immortal was strongly disliked by the gods of the nine heavens, he'd stood his ground and defied the heavenly lord. Finding out his Qian Qian was Si Yin was not a good thing, heavenly lord was likely to give a punishment that would kill her. Nobody needed to know, this would be their secret after all everyone always told him the issue was very old and not one he needed to focus on.

"Qian Qian, promise me you won't tell anyone else about this"

Bai Qian smiled at him. "Thank you"

He responded her smile with a small one of his own.

How much would you have to love someone to preserve their body by stabbing your heart every month for 70,000 years? he wondered