Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

She raised the stick again, and I saw her partner getting up at the same time.

Oh too easy.

I simply took a step back and watched as she brought the stick down just as he darted at me. She swung and hit her partner's head with all her strength.

She gasped as he collapsed.

Wasting no time, I ran at her, knocking her to the ground on her back.

Her bataan went flying and I grabbed it.

I hovered over her, pressing the stick against her neck.

"Where's Karma?" I asked coldly, glaring.

From the corner of my eye, I saw her grab for her radio.

I snatched it away faster than she could grab it.

"Don't make me ask you again," I pressed down harder on the stick, holding the radio out of her reach with my free hand.

She looked like she was about to spit at me, but seemed to reconsider the situation.

"They're holding him in the basement. It's at the very back of the building." She finally admitted.

"There," I cooed. "Was that so hard?"

To make sure she didn't follow me, I suddenly bashed the end of the stick at her head, and she gasped in pain, coughing out a little blood.

I got off her and slid the radio into my pocket.

She mumbled something I didn't catch.

"What was that?" I knelt down and poked her with the stick.

"You're too late," she repeated, smirking her blood stained teeth at me. "He's already dead."

I was silent for a moment, before standing up.

"I really wish people would stop telling me that."

And I hit her one last time.

"It just pisses me off."

-

Karma's P.O.V.

The lights suddenly went off and I was thrown into darkness.

It didn't help I was already on edge with the dead/not dead Rema/not Rema thing in here with me, and the fact the voice had something even more sinister in store still.

"Let me out!" I screamed, pounding on the wall with both fists.

Where was the door? I couldn't remember in my panic. Was there even one? There had to be, because Rema got in. But she didn't open it, the voice had.

"Karma," Her voice shifted from somewhere behind me.

I took a few steps back, holding my arms out in the darkness. "Stay away from me, or I swear I'll hurt you!" I warned her/it.

"We used to be so close, Karma-kun," she sounded sad. "What changed?"

"You died!" I spat. I felt along the wall behind me. There had to be another way out.

"I'm right here." She said, sounding angry. "Stop saying I died because I didn't!"

Pleasepleaseplease...

"You're making me angry, Karma." She said.

The wall was all smooth. No hidden door here.

"Leave me alone!" I shouted.

I couldn't see anything in the pitch black that surrounded us, but I was sure the voice was still watching us somehow.

"I loved you, and this is how you repay me?!"

"Ah!" I was suddenly slammed against the wall, my head dizzy from the pain of impact.

Rema's fingernails dug into my sleeves, making me wince.

She leaned in close, her breath fanning my ear.

"Let's go back to how things were before, I want to be close friends with you again," she whispered.

"Get off!" I struggled but she had superhuman strength.

"Join me, Karma-kun," she urged. "We can be together forever, just like we always planned!"

"No!" I screamed, twisting my head away from her. "I don't like you!"

She got sad.

And then she got mad.

She slammed me against the wall again, her nails so deep in my skin that they drew blood.

"You slut!" She raged, shaking me. "It was always going to be you and I! You cheater! How could you! I'll kill you! You god damn slut!"

Before I could even say we were never even dating, the lights came on.

I blinked, adjusting to the new scene.

That door had opened, and a person was standing there.

Rema growled and turned around, still not releasing me.

"Who dares to interrupt me?" She screeched.

The figure, a boy, calmly walked into the room.

My eyes widened and my breath caught in my throat when I saw him.

He grinned.

"I overheard you say you loved Karma," the boy said, still walking closer.

"Yeah, so what?" Rema finally released me and faced him.

"Well, that's going to be a problem," the boy lifted his face and looked at her.

"Because I love Karma."

The word finally escaped from me, whispered into the tense air.

"Nagisa."