{14} Stolen

"You and Qibli are the cutest couple in the world," Kinkajou said, grinning as she walked. "It's such a relief to see you with him. You seem like you're getting better, anyway. You don't seem even the tiniest bit worried anymore."

Moon felt the tiny tingle of truth in her words. "Well, that might be because I don't listen to the tapes anymore."

Kinkajou's mood changed to happy (so her normal self) to frowny and angry in two seconds. "Moon, you must finish those tapes. Which one are you on?"

"The twelfth one?" Moon said. "I didn't start it yet, though."

Kinkajou sighed. "Moon...I didn't want to tell you, but, well, it's a rule. You must finish those tapes, no matter how much you don't want to. You just...have to. Winter wanted you to, remember?"

She stared at her shoes, ashamed. "Oh." She sighed. "Of course I have to. I was forgetting...It was his last wish..."

Kinkajou closed her eyes then opened them again, grinning and back to the old, happy Kinkajou. "Anyway, are you feeling alright now? Remember when I went over to your house and you were, like, lying on the ground cause you didn't get any sleep for like, what? Four days?"

Moon forced a weak laugh. "Yeah, well...."

Kinkajou shrugged. "I'm glad you're getting better." She quickly turned the key and the door opened, revealing Kinkajou's shining, filled-with-sparkly-things house.

As they entered her house, Moon saw that something was off.

Kinkajou's room was messy. Not her usual messy, like...

...someone came into her room and dug her stuff messy.

Kinkajou's jaw dropped. "What...What happened here?"

Moon then spotted it.

Her cabinets. Were bare. And her windows were wide open.

Kinkajou always complained loudly that her windows wouldn't lock and it was broken in school. Anybody could have heard it.

Of course someone came through the window.

"T-the tapes," Kinkajou whispered. Her eyes were swelling with tears. "They're gone. What the neck happened here?"

The tapes. Were gone.

"I think you've been robbed, Kinkajou," she said aloud. Kinkajou fell to the ground, sobs shaking her shoulders. Moon was speechless.

By who, though?

  ~

"Poor Kinkajou. She's saying it's her fault that she wasn't responsible enough," she whispered, sighing. She watched the kids play soccer in the soccer field with a sad expression.

"I hope whoever it is returns them. It's not any of their business," Qibli replied, gripping her hand tightly. His palms were sweaty from playing basketball. After Winter's suicide, he was voted into the captain's position.

She nodded. Qibli gave her a small, worried smile. "Everything will be okay, Moon. Don't be worried about it." Qibli gave her a shy kiss on the cheek.

She didn't even acknowledge it. "I have to worry. If someone releases those tapes...what will happen to his family? They would be so ashamed, and I'm sure Winter wouldn't want that."

The bell rang. Making her snap out of her worries.

Qibli shrugged. "I'm not sure. We'd better get to class before it's too late."

Moon gave him a grateful smile and squeezed his hand. Maybe this wasn't a bad idea after all.

"Thank you, Qibli."

~

Does anybody know what writing four chapters a day feel like?

Like I want to finish this story really bad but like I don't want to go too fast and like it's killing me  😂
When you don't have any adjectives to spare so you use "filled-with-sparkly-things" house XP