Day 1- Breaking In.

"This is crazy! We shouldn't be doing this!"

"We're not doing it, I'm doing it. You're just supposed to be look out. So look. Out." I broke the lock open and smiled.

I should have plenty of time to get what I need and get the hell out of this house.

I pulled out my burlap bag and started to fill.

The dark house was empty at night. I knew it would be because my friend lives here. Her and her family are for the weekend. Every first of the month they leave for "good quality family time". They're filthy rich among other things. She's not like me. She has it made. She can afford the nicer things in life.

Like college.

I got my acceptance letter to Stanford yesterday morning. I was counting on the last scholarship I could apply for to pay for my schooling, and I found out that this morning that I didn't get it. Now I'm stuck. I've been accepted to the school of my dreams with no way to pay for it. Thus, the petty theft I'm about to partake in.

This is my last chance.

My phone lit up in my pocket.

"ABORT! ABORT! They're home, they're pulling into the driveway l! ABORT!" My little sister screamed in my ear before hanging up.

"Hello? Damn it!"

I heard a car door slam as I frantically looked for a place to hide. The closet door freaked when I closed it behind me.

"I can't believe we had to change our plans. We normally do this at our cabin. Why does the road have to be closed?!"

"Relax sweetie, we've done this at the house before. We just have to be more careful."

I opened the door just a smudge and peeled out. My friends parents stood over a large black plastic bag. The contents inside moved.

What the hell?

Her dad opened the bag and a half naked man squirmed out.

"I'll prepare the basement." My friend disappeared from view.

Her mom kneeled down and smiled. "Don't worry. It'll all be over soon. Your organs will go fast on the black market. Just imagine how many lives you'll be impacting."

Black market? I'd that why they're so rich?!?

Standing, I lose my footing and fall out of the closet.

Her parents looked at me shocked. I looked back, mortified. They called my friend back upstairs. She had a bit of both in her expression.

"What are you doing here?!?"

"Yes, explain to us how your friend got into our house without tripping the alarm."

"Doesn't matter how. She's seen and heard too much. We have to get rid of her."

"Well, you could. But you'd eventually get caught. I'm not just some random person you found on the street. I'm friends with your daughter. And someone knows where I was tonight. And when the cops find out about what you did to me, they'll probably find out about a lot of other things as well. Won't they?"

Her father sighed, "You want money, right?"

"Close. I want you to pay my college tuition."

"That's it?"

I nod. "Do that and I won't tell a soul."

"How do we know you'll keep your word?"

"Just stop paying my tuition. Simple."

"We should do it."

My friend's parents gawked at her. "You really trust this girl?"

"I trust how bad she wants to go to Stanford. It's all she's talked about for years. Going there means everything to her. She'll keep quiet."

They talked about it amongst themselves for a few minutes.

"Okay. You've got a deal."

I shook their hands and let myself out. "Oh and by the way, you should make your alarm code more... difficult." I winked and shit the door.

On the walk home my sister called me again. "Oh my God, are you okay?!? What happened?!!"

"Nothing. False alarm. It wasn't them."

"Oh, good. Did you get what you needed?"

"And then some. I smirked from ear to ear.  Beaming with satisfaction.