Chapter 3

A/N

So you are not going to believe this, but the reason that I haven't updated is because I have been too busy fangirling. Partly over the series (YAY!) and also because I met Rachel Caine yesterday. And went out for lunch with her. Seriously. I said you wouldn't believe it! Yeah. I still can't believe it! She is a great person, and really fun to chat to! Yeah, so people, please inbox me on here, because I need to fangirl with you. Or just comment. Something. Because yesterday was the best Halloween ever thanks to Rachel Caine! 

Anyway, I'm sorry this chapter is so short, but this book is getting really hard to write. 

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Eve, just go down to Michael.' I said. 

We were sat in my room. Myrnin still hadn't come home. He was doing some work in his lab. 

After we got married, he had moved in here. He had been reluctant, but I told him that I wasn't staying in his lab. He had agreed when I told him that he could still work in his lab over the day, so he wouldn't be missing out on any of the late times he used to spend in his lab. 

'He should never have compared you to Brandon.' She said. 

I sighed. 'Eve, it's fine. He didn't mean it like that.' 

'I don't care how he meant it, it was out of order!'

I shook my head. 'You've never explained to me what happened between you and Brandon.' I said. 

Eve sighed and sat down on my bed, I sat next to her. 'He was my family's protector.' She said. 'He tried to...use me. I refused his protection, and my family disowned me, so I moved in with Michael here.' She shrugged her shoulders. 

I sighed. Some vampires were idiots. But that included me. I was an idiot to agree to become a vampire. 

Maybe becoming a Protector would be a bad idea. I didn't want the responsibility. But I wanted to have more responsibilities. I needed to show Amelie that I was responsible. 

'Go down to Michael.' I said. 'You don't need to be involved with this.' 

Eve didn't want to leave me, but I persuaded her to go. I didn't want everyone to be involved with this. It was my life. 

There was a knock at my door. I opened it and Shane walked in. 

'Shane, I'm fine without anyone.' I said. 'I don't need you to tell me that I'm making a mistake.' 

Shane sighed. ‘I’m not going to,’ He said. ‘It’s your choice.’ 

I sighed. I wished that Michael would understand. I had to do this. I had no choice. 

I stood up. ‘I need to go back down.’ I said. Shane turned around and went back out of my door. 

‘Liz, don’t wind him up any more. Wait for your parents to get home.’ 

I shook my head. ‘I’m going to sort it. I need to do this, Shane.’ 

I walked past Shane, and went downstairs. Shane had shouted after me, but I had ignored him. I knew that Shane wanted the best for me, but I had to sort this. I knew that Shane only wanted the best for me. But so did Michael, it was just that they both thought different. 

They were arguing downstairs. It wasn’t like I hadn’t expected it. Like, hell, it wasn’t as if they would have all calmed down when I went upstairs.

‘I just don’t see why she has to do this!’ Michael shouted to someone in the room, but I couldn’t see who it was. It wasn’t Shane, because he had just followed me down stairs - he was stood at the bottom of the stairs. My parents weren’t home for once, and Claire and Eve were stood near Michael.

‘Do not question me, child.’ A woman’s voice came, soft and old - Amelie. ‘You must remember where you belong.’ 

‘I want to protect my sister.’ He said, in a low voice. 

‘I said,’ Amelie began again. ‘Do not question me!’ 

I walked in and stood next to Amelie. She knew I was there, but she didn’t acknowledge it. Shane walked in and stood by Michael. Michael looked to Shane as if he needed help.

‘Dude,’ Shane said. ‘I’m not going on anyones side.'

Eve laughed. ‘An argument that Shane isn’t getting involved in? Now this is unusual.’ 

I was fed up of this. I pulled the sheet of paper out of my pocket, and put it down on the low coffee table. I grabbed a pen.

‘Elizabeth!’ Michael shouted. ‘Just don’t do this!’ 

‘No-one is safe in Morganville,’ I said ‘No-one is ever safe, so why should this make a difference?'

I put the pen to the paper and signed my name. I didn’t regret it. I had to do this. I knew I had no other choice.