Chapter 5

Michael had mentioned where Shane had moved to. Right next door. That was quite lucky for me. Especially when I can't drive, and I need somewhere to go to. Quick.

The house didn't quite match in with Michael's. It was smaller, but it looked neater from the front, as if it had been looked after better - not just while Shane had had the house, but like it has been loved before him. It wasn't perfect from the outside, but it looked lived in. And loved. And... Happier.

I walked up to the wooden door and knocked, suddenly feeling nervous. Some voices came from inside the house.

Shane opened the door. 'Elizabeth? What're you doing here?' He said.

I couldn't hold it back any longer. I couldn't help it, but I just started crying. I know, I was such a baby about all of it, but I just couldn't cope.

'Hey.' He said softly, grabbing me in his arms. I walked inside with Shane.

'Who is it?' A girl's voice shouted from the next room.

'Micheal's sister.' He shouted through.

The girl came through. She had medium length brown hair. 'What?' She said.

'Long story, wrong time.' Shane replied.

The girl looked at me. I must have looked terrible.

Shane took me through to the sofa and sat down with me.

Shane had been like a big brother to me. When I was last here it had been much the same as this. Me and Michael falling out. Shane was michaels best friend, so he was always around. I always went to him when something had happened. He understood how I felt about not having a family. He was the only one.

Michael could never understand what it's like growing up thousands of miles away from your parents, not even knowing them. He didn't know how it felt to finally see your brother, and he goes against you. For years, I didn't even know I had a brother, or even parents. I've still never met my own parents. I understand why I didn't grow up around here. It was too dangerous. But not growing up here meant that I didn't get to meet my grandfather - Sam Glass - before he was killed. I didn't get to go to my own brother's wedding. I didn't get to grow up around people that I fitted in with.

I grew up as a private school girl, with no parents. That deemed me to bullying. Years of it. Because I was the kid who no one cared about. I was the posh kid who had no real family. I was the psycho kid, being ripped apart by a memory after my first visit to Morganville. Not able to tell anyone what I knew. I couldn't even tell anybody that I had a brother. Michael doesn't understand this.

'What's happened?' Shane asked, I was sat next to him, stopping crying.

'Michael.' I said.

'What now?' He asked as if it hadn't been years since we had seen each other.

'I didn't know.' I said.

'About him being vamped?' Shane asked, and I nodded.

The girl walked into the room again and sat on a chair opposite us.

'He's human now though.' Shane said.

'Yeah. But I agreed to something with Amelie.' I said, quieter. I could feel the girl's eyes on me.

Shane sighed. 'Whatever it is, it's okay.' He said.

I stayed there for a bit.

'Oh, I forgot.' He said. 'Liz, this is Claire, my wife.'

Claire smiled at me. 'Hey.' She said.

'Claire, this is Michael's sister, Elizabeth.' Shane said.

Claire gave me a confused look.

'I didn't grow up around here. I didn't know I had a family until about four years ago.' I said and sighed. 'It's a long story.'

I stood up. 'I best go back.' I said.

'Give me your phone.' Shane said. I threw my phone and he caught it. A minute later he threw it back. 'Mine and Claire's numbers. If you need us.' He said.

I walked out and back next door to Michael's. I dug out the keys from my pocket and unlocked the door. Michael was there straight away.

'Where the hell have you been?!' He shouted as soon as I got in.

'Hey Liz, I'm glad to see you're safe and home. How are you?' I said, walking past him to the stairs.

'Elizabeth! I was worried!' He shouted.

'Shut up Michael. Just shut up!' I said, and went upstairs.

He really didn't understand what it was like to have gone through anything that I had been through.