TWENTY-EIGHT.

(excuse all mistakes.)

Compton, California 📍

Kamiri Al'Malik Baker | KB

"Maw!" I yelled throughout her house, dropping my keys on her dining room table.

"Im in the kitchen baby!"

"Hey Maw." I went over to her, hugging her and kissing her cheek.

"Hey Grandma baby." She stood at the counter cutting peaches.

i love peaches.

"Can I—"

"No." She popped my hand. "This for my cobbler."

"That nasty ass shit." I mumbled, mugging her.

"What was said?" She held her ear.

"I said just make sure you leave me some peaches on a dish."

"Mhm. What you come over here for?" I watched her as she swiftly moved around the kitchen. She reminded me so much of my mama.

Besides being evil.

My grandma would never.

"Nothing really." I shrugged.

"Kamiri. Look at me." She stopped what she was doing to look me in my eyes.

"You look sad baby. What's the matter?"

Shrugging, I looked back down at my hands.

"Where's that girlfriend of yours?"

"She ain't my girlfriend no more."

"And why is that? She the reason you sad?"

"I guess."

"What can I do with I guess? How can I make you feel better if you won't talk to me?"

"She the reason I'm sad but it ain't her fault. I broke up with her." I shrugged.

"Well why?"

"Cause." I shrugged. "Ionkno."

"...And now you sad?"

"Yes."

"Sounds like you in a bit of a pickle." She raised her eyebrows.

"Maw." My face dropped.

"What? You not expressing yourself Kamiri there's no way I can help you or even understand."

Sighing, I got ready to vent.

"Maw I like this girl so bad, on crip. I be thinking bout her lil ass all the time." I started to stare off into space.

"She so innocent but don't let that fool you she got a slick ass mouth. And she always got an answer for everything. I like that in her though."

"She can't cook, she can't drive, she can't even fight but that's okay." I nodded.

"And when I tell you that girl can eat." I raised an eyebrow. "Her ass greedy as hell."