17. Underground Therapy

Start from the beginning

I rolled my eyes as she disappeared around a corner that led to the chips and other junk food section. Penny was still crouched down on the floor, sorting the Pringles cans and putting them on the shelf one by one in a row.

Our eyes met and she flashed me a smile. "You found yourself a skateboard. Awesome."

"Yeah. I have no idea how to use it though. I'm guessing it's not as easy as it seems."

"Don't worry. I'm sure Hope will turn you into a pro in no time."

Silence filled the air around us and I felt like I needed to make conversation so it wouldn't get too awkward. I guess I was slightly curious on why she dropped out of college when she was basically a biology nerd. "So what are you up to other than working here?"

Narrowing her eyes, she shot me a look. "You're wondering why I dropped out of college, aren't you?"

"No! I mean,-"

-She laughed and waved her hand, dismissively. "It's fine, really. I dropped out because I realized university isn't for me. At least not yet. It was too much pressure, mostly because I chose the wrong course. Biology isn't really my thing, honestly. I like reading and writing. I've been writing on an online site since I was eighteen and I recently got a publishing deal. So now I'm renting an awesome apartment, writing the last version of my book and getting it published in a few months. I'm doing what I love and I'm doing okay. I think that's what matters. I don't want to rush into everything and make the wrong decisions when I can take things slow and make good decisions that are good for my mental health."

And then she gasped, cheeks flushing bright red of embarrassment. "Shit. That came out too quick. I'm sorry. I tend to start rambling when my main goal is to actually explain."

Shaking my head, I smiled. "It's fine. Congratulations on the publishing deal. That's kind of huge, right?"

She nodded, quickly. "It's so huge. I'm so happy. What about you? What are you doing after graduation?"

Anxiety bubbled up in the pit of my stomach. "I applied to Standford."

Her eyes widened. "Oh, wow! That's huge as well. Remember to take it easy though. You don't need to be good at everything all the time. Just take care of your mental health. Use the sources around you. Most people don't."

"Fuck, I sound like my mom." She laughed, awkwardly.

"You sound like a queen!" Hope shouted, riding her skateboard towards us in an awfully fast speed.

Penny gasped. "Girl, get off that thing before I get fired!"

Hope jumped off the skateboard when she approached us and with an offended frown, she said, "Her name is Grey."

Penny got up and brushed the dust off her blue jeans before walking behind the cash register. "Just give me the chips and the skateboard."

After I paid for my skateboard and Hope's chips (while they both ogled at my debit card as if it was gold), Hope and I crossed the street and headed past the diner. 

"You seem to be good friends with Penny," I said, slightly curious.

Riding her skateboard at a pace that matched my steps, Hope smiled. "We've never hung out but she's one of the very few people in this town who doesn't only show me sympathy or makes me feel guilty when I talk to her."