10. Tyler's Flashback

Tyler's pov

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TYLER!"

I jump awake and find my parents and some close family piled into my room. Mom was holding a plate of birthday waffles with a single lit candle. I almost forgot that I'm 17 today.

A smile stretches my face as I get out of bed, thankful that I'm at least wearing pajama pants. Mom gives the plate to Aunt Laney so she can hug me. And dad follows with a bear hug; despite being a big and imposing man, dad's always been a hugger.

Everyone sings "happy birthday" and I blow out the candle. My only wish is to find my mate today. It's time and as embarrassing as it is, I've been saving myself for her. My wolf, Ajax, is jumping with anticipation. Almost like he can feel that today is the day we'll meet her.

My family files out of my room so I can get ready for school. After grabbing my stuff and scarfing down the birthday waffles, I start my walk to school. It's a long walk and I could've taken my car, but I really feel like it's a good day to walk. And it is; the sun is shining and there's an inkling of the approaching fall breeze. It feels really nice to walk. I take my time too since I left early.

Finally I arrive at the crosswalk right across from the school. The signal tells me to cross but before I even step my foot off the sidewalk, this intoxicatingly delicious scent engulfs me. And it leads me to the girl who's already crossing.

Her back is to me when she stops in the middle of the road. It's her. IT'S HER! MATE! She turns around quickly and our eyes meet. Her eyes are bright green and vibrant like an emerald. A delicate smile graces her lips and her eyes alight as she realizes who I am to her.

But it's too late. Right as her legs start to move in my direction, a car comes speeding down the road, running the red light and hitting her. My mate is thrown about 3 meters away. The car doesn't stop after running her over and continues speeding.

I run to her side where she ended up on the sidewalk. There's a large bruise starting to form around her torso and hip where the car connected; she also has a multitude of scrapes from her landing. She is losing consciousness.

"No. No, please stay awake", I beg

A small crowd starts forming around us of the students who witnessed it. A teacher squeezes through and immediately dials 911. I can't seem to focus on anything but her until the police and an ambulance arrive. The paramedics load her body into the truck while the police start taking witness's statements. I couldn't go with her because I don't even know the girl's name; forget about calling myself her boyfriend.

Instead, I call my parents and explain to them what happened. They're going to meet me at the hospital. I also find one of the cops I know is from my pack, officer Smith, and ask him to take me to the hospital.

15 minutes later, we've reached the hospital and my mate is being rushed into surgery. They won't let anyone through so all I can do is wait. My parents meet me about 10 minutes later and find me pacing in front of the reception desk. Mom doesn't say anything but lends me silent comfort with her presence.

Another group of people rush in not long after. I recognize 2 of them as the alpha and luna of the Blackwater pack, Alaric and Caroline. They're accompanied by a middle-aged couple and another guy who looks a bit older than me.