Nightmare

"Come back here, Bella."

My feet slammed against the wooden floorboards as I ran down the hallway of my house, pulling my little sister with me. I pushed her behind the bookcase, and tucked myself into a corner. The sharp sound of rain against glass and the darkness of the hallway made me tremble.

"Oh, there you are."

I flinched at the cold way the words slipped out of her mouth.

"Bella," She bent down so she was level with me, "did you break my necklace?" There was a hardness in her words, as if she was accusing me, not asking. Lighting flashed across the sky, pouring through the window and lighting her murkey eyes.

"I-I'm sorry!" I blurted out, knowing full well it was my sister who broke it while we were playing with her jewelry. "I didn't mean to! I promise... I didn't mean to."

She said nothing, only reached out her hands and lifted me onto her hip. She did this often, even though I considered myself too old to be treated as a baby. She walked slowly down the hallway, humming. Her hip was boney and her nails dug into my side. Being held by her gave me a sick feeling; nothing like the way I felt in my mothers arms.

"Rock-a-bye baby in the tree top, when the wind blows the cradle will rock." She sang aloud as we neared the staircase.

"When the bow breaks the cradle will fall, down will come baby, cradle and all." When the final word slipped out, I no longer felt her arms around me.

Pain shot through my body as I tumbled down the flight of steps, landing with a thud at the bottom. I hurt all over, and felt blood trickling down my face. My eyes fought to stay open.

Her heels sounded like thunder as she made her way down the stairs, carefully hitting each step. Once at the bottom, she knelt over me and brushed a piece of hair out of my face. "I didn't like that necklace anyway."

My eyes jerked open as the sound of thunder filled my head.

"Oh... it was a dream..." My voice shook slightly at remembering that horrid day, and seeing my step-mothers face flash through my mind. "Only... a dream..." My voice gave way to my tired head, and slowly my eyes shut.