Chapter 43: Carter

Beginne am Anfang

It's a lot easier to be alive and alone when there's music playing in the background. I intentionally don't make eye contact with anyone on the bus. I sit in my typical seat for each of my classes and don't answer even when a teacher calls on me. I think for once they feel something like pity instead of anger, because none of them send me to the office.

Despite my music flowing directly into my head, I hear the whispers—the things Carter Ortese has done to Emma Williams. How good she used to be before I came along. When I hear Georgia's voice in the hall right before my lunch period, the rumors finally pierce through my armor.

"Maybe she would have won, if she hadn't been sucking his dick all the time." The comment is followed by a stiff giggle and large smirk. The smug look on her face tilts me over the edge.

I have to say something.

"What's that?" I turn to her, slow and controlled, because if I lose the last of my cool now, I'm done for.

She turns to her friend with this innocent, huge-eyed look. She looks like a deer just before it gets run over by a semi. "What? What did I do?"

I do not wish violence against girls or women, but I do wish Emma were here to defend herself, because I know the kind of fire and fury that lives inside that girl.

"I'm sorry, I just—" I let out a chuckle, maniacal and charming at the same time. I point to my ear, indicating that I might be hearing things. "—I thought you had something to say about my girlfriend." I take a step closer to Georgia and narrow my eyes. "We're all listening. We're all here." I gesture my hands out wide to the rest of the hallway. Most people have stopped to gawk at the scene I'm making. "Say it again."

"I didn't say anything." She puffs out her lower lip.

I drop my voice. "The only reason you won is because of a fluke. I've heard you play, Georgia. You're passionless."

Georgia pastes on a pleasant smile and straightens. "Look at this everyone, isn't it cute? Carter Ortese thinks he can defend the girl he put in the hospital." She leans forward. "How long did it take her to scream after the knife went into her guts?"

"Wow." I turn to the crowd of people. They are staring at me like I'm some kind of feral animal. They believe Georgia, of all people. "You really think I stabbed Emma?" I choke on a laugh. "I'd be in jail if that were the case. All of you are dumber than you look."

"Seriously, they are. But not as dumb as Georgia. That girl is worse than a pile of rocks. She makes a landslide look smart." Stacy has made her way to my side. She pushes her blonde hair behind her shoulders and hooks her arm through mine. "For anyone who wants to know the truth, girls, Carter is one of the good guys. He saved Emma's life, but sure, keep telling yourselves that he's the bad guy. Let that poor judgement of character guide you to the biggest mistakes of your lives."

She yanks on my arm, and I almost topple over as we turn together. She pushes past Georgia and glares at her as she does.

"Oh. My. God." Stacy whirls on me once we are far enough down the hallway. "Did you see that? Did you see the look on Georgia's stupid face? And the rest of them! Oh. My. God." The way she says the phrase makes each word stand out on its own, accentuating every syllable. "I can't believe they think you stabbed her. Idiots."

"Uh," I say, not really knowing what to say. Her energy is like a downed electrical live wire whipping around in the street.

"Ignore her," Mika says, catching up to us with Britt right behind her. "What she really means is thank you for saving our friend's life."

"Emma told you?"

"Duh, Emma told us. You're like a hero. Well, to us, but most people think you're like some weird stalker or something?" Britt shrugs and puts on a sad smile. "But we know the truth."