Chapter Forty

Ryan was six years old. He and his parents were vacationing at Will Rogers State Beach on the Santa Monica Bay. Ryan was kicking the water because he loved making the water foam with white bubbles. When the tide of the blue-green ocean came racing toward shore, he loved kicking the foam to make even more foam, even if they were only a few more bubbles. Ryan always thought that was when he first discovered his creative nature: making more foam in the ocean. From then on, he loved making things: pictures, sandcastles, and creating and pretending he was a totally different person, which he would invent inside his head.

His parents pointed and laughed at little Ryan kicking the waves while they enjoyed the sun. Encouraged by their attention, he continued kicking, determined to make as many bubbles as he could. Without realizing it, he headed deeper into the water. It was only when an approaching higher-than-normal wave knocked him down and pulled him underneath the water that he became scared.

Ryan tried to shout for his parents but ocean water filled his mouth. He couldn't see underneath the water and lost track which way was toward his parents and the shore. Unable to control what was happening, he struggled to come up for air, but the pressure of the tide prevented him. He couldn't make sense of what was happening. He couldn't scream, come up for air, or get back on his feet.

This was the first time he felt completely alone and helpless. Forces out of his control were taking over and he couldn't do anything about it.

When he thought he'd never see his parents again, his father scooped him up out of the water. Ryan clutched his father crying, never wanting to let go.

"Is everything all right here?" the lifeguard asked as he rushed over.

"Oh yes, fine! My son went in a little too deep. We've got to watch him more carefully," his father conceded as he held Ryan. He rubbed his little son's back in an effort to calm him. "Now, it's O.K., son. I've got you" He kissed his son's head and said, "Soon, you're going to be a big brother and before you know it, you'll have to help watch your little brother or sister...He's fine, Sara, don't worry."

Ryan's mother approached, her hand clutching her heart. "Oh, that was so scary, Ryan! You've got to be more careful in the water."

Hearing his mother's voice, Ryan immediately released his father and held out his arms for her. She took him and rocked him, humming his favorite song until his crying turned into quiet whimpers.

"Tonight we're going to buy you a toy, Ryan. Would you like that?" Sara spoke in her son's ear.

Ryan nodded, sniffling.

Everything was going to be all right.

Now, thirty-six years later, Ryan sat on an easy chair in his penthouse suite. It was a warm day yet he was shivering. His mouth was hanging open and he was too paralyzed to move, to think. He felt as helpless and out-of-control as when he was pulled by the ocean tide. And unlike then, there was no one to rescue him.

Chin had left ten minutes ago. Two birth certificates lay on the desk. Next to it were the paternity test results Chin had just delivered. The evidence was beyond question. Ryan became nauseous every time he turned in their direction. Even though he felt cold and sweaty at the same time, he knew he wasn't sick.

He was in shock. He feared he was going to have a stroke. That thought forced him to breathe deeply and evenly. He couldn't fall apart. He would have to deal with this.

My luck's gotta hold, he kept repeating to himself. I'm gonna get through this.

Unfortunately, he had no idea how. More than anything, Ryan wanted to feel in control again and not helpless to these outside forces he couldn't control. Putting his face in his hand on the arm of the chair, he searched the recesses of his memory. His mind refused to face that night when they both became dead drunk. He shook his head. Christine must have gotten her period that morning. Nothing happened. Ryan's head shot up. No, it couldn't have happened. This is some sort of weird, convoluted mistake. Yes, yes! A mistake! I'm not a father. There will be no scandal. I'm not going to end up in court.