Chapter Thirteen

Swelledwith pride, Buddy Catalano leaned back in his leather chair.

Hehad exceeded beyond even his own expectations.

Heshook his head, smiling. Moneytalks. I'll save our condo in the city yet. Lucy will think of meas her hero again, just like back in the day when I swept her off herfeet and married her.

Hetook out a mirror to make sure his appearance was impeccable whenRyan came to the office. He frowned when he noticed his recedinghairline. Grey flecks of hair were sprouting up on his scalp. Hiscomb over no longer covered his bald spot. He sighed.

Ok,Ok, I can still be her middle-aged hero. When we first met, I wasyoung and muscular but with only two hundred bucks to my name.There's always some give-and-take in life.

Hisphone buzzed.

Shana,who agreed to stay late, informed him Ryan Monti was waiting. Shesounded unusually cheerful despite working after hours.

I'dbet she'd work for free just to see that guy again, hechuckled to himself.

"Thankyou, Shana. By all means, send him in."

Buddywalked to the door to greet him. His secretary escorted Ryan to thedoor. She looked like a young schoolgirl gaping at her first crush.

"Welcome!Come on in, Mr. Monti. Have a seat, please," he reached out toshake his hand.

"Shana,that's all the help I'll need for tonight. You can go home now.Thank you."

"OK,Mr. Catalano," Shana said, still ogling at Ryan. Buddy coughed afew times to signal his secretary to leave and close the door. Shefinally got the hint.

"Goodnight,gentlemen," she sang with shining bright eyes upon closing thedoor.

Ryangot right down to business.

"Youfound out something? So fast? How?" he asked before he even satdown.

Buddyreturned slowly to his seat. "I want to word this as best as I canwithout offending you."

"Wellgo on. Let's have it," Ryan sat on the edge of his seat. "Forgiveme for being so blunt, but you can do away with the formalities.What's going on? Are you trying to tell me this isn't a prank? Ifit isn't, what the hell is it?"

Buddyheld up a hand. "Ok, I'll tell you what I've got. As you know,your love life has been in the media for years."

"And?"

"Ihired my best and most discreet investigators to chart the history ofall the known women you've dated since you became famous. I firstwanted to find out if any of them is hiding something that may bedetrimental to you."

"Asfar as I know, they've all moved on. Quite a few are married withchildren."

"Right,I know."

Ryan'sface tightened. "Are you trying to tell me one of them is accusingme of abandoning them when she found out she was pregnant?"

"No,but one, the woman you told me about, Christine Zarzycki,mysteriously disappeared for a year after you two broke up. She nowlives in another part of the country and.. ."

Ryan'smouth fell open. "And what?"

"Shehas twins—a son and a daughter—and her husband is not the father.It's unclear who the father is. She left his name off the birthcertificates."

"Howmany years ago did she give birth?"

"Seventeen,"Buddy responded.

"Andcan you prove she sent that letter?" Ryan sat back, his eyes movingin all directions until he settled his stare on Buddy. "And shewants child support now? After all this time?"