Chapter 11 - Can't see the wool for the trees

Start from the beginning

"If only Cardin were here," Yang sighed theatrically and cupped her cheeks. "He'd be willing to nurse you back to good health, kept warmly against his bosom as he whispers sweet no-"

"Yang, please," Blake sighed, "No one wants to have that mental image."

"It looks bad," Pyrrha said, walking over to stand by him. Wait, he looked bad – or something else? "Do you think we should call Miss Goodwitch? She might have some medicine, or at least know some first aid."

"I-I'll be fine," he snorted. He didn't want Miss Goodwitch of all people looking over him. "I... I-" a sneeze "-I just need to g-get this stuff off me."

Weiss sighed loudly and planted both hands on her hips. Even through his hazy vision, he could see the exasperated look on her face. "Well, we can't just continue like this," she said, "You're liable to draw the Grimm if you get much louder and your hoodie is covered in that sap. Something has to be done, because you're not going to suddenly develop immunity to it."

"Ooh, I saw a stream earlier," Nora called. "He could go wash it off his clothes."

"As good an idea as any, I suppose." Weiss hummed and turned to the rest of her team before nodding. "Ruby, you take Jaune with you to the stream and help him."

"Why me?"

Before, Weiss might have bristled at the challenge. Now, she only nodded and explained. "I am his partner, but I have to gather his share of the sap since he's out of action. That leaves Pyrrha or yourself, and out of the two, I believe Pyrrha's greater strength makes her better for boring the tap into the trees."

"Okay Weiss," Ruby smiled, "that makes sense. Come on, Jaune."

He took the smaller girl's hand and let her help him up, staggering slightly as he became dizzy at the sudden height. Ruby tried to pull his arm around her shoulder so he'd lean on her, but he did his best not to. He was a lot heavier than her.

"Shout or call if something goes wrong!" Weiss called as they left.

"Use protection," Yang added. Protection? She meant from the Grimm, right?

"YANG!" Ruby yelled back in embarrassment. The blonde cackled loudly, but Ruby ignored her and turned to help him in the direction of the stream Nora marked on their scrolls. It didn't look like a long journey, thankfully. Yet again, for what felt like the one hundredth time, Jaune turned his head to the side and sneezed.

"This stuff is really getting to you, isn't it?" Ruby rubbed his back sympathetically.

"If I'd known I was allergic, I would have said something," he whined.

"Were either of your parents allergic to this?"

"I don't think mom is, but I guess my sisters might me... I'll have to warn them. He didn't want Amber or Lavender to run into this stuff and get ill. Or, heavens forbid, his sister Hazel – named after his Uncle (much to Uncle Hazel's confusion). She shared none of his traits, least of all his taciturn attitude. If she got ill, she made sure everyone knew about it.

"What about your dad?" she asked. "It might come from his side."

"Dad travels a lot, so I wouldn't know. Even when he comes home, it's not like there's any of this sap nearby." No trees at all, really. "I'll ask him next time I see him."

"What does he do? You said your mom works in real estate – does your dad do the same?"

"Dad's a huntsman," Jaune said proudly.

"Really? My parents were too," Ruby smiled. "My dad works as a teacher now, though. He retired after... hey look, there's the stream!" Ruby pointed ahead with one arm, drawing his attention to a small dip in the landscape from which some spray of water could be seen. More than anything, it was the noise that made it obvious; a fast-paced trickling, splashing sound.