"Pyrrha," Weiss sighed, "This... this child wants to wear this on top of her uniform. I'm trying to tell her she can't but she won't listen."

"I have to wear it," Ruby's gasped, "I-It's... it's special to me; I can't not wear it."

"You have an image to maintain, our image – the team's image!" Weiss rolled her eyes and turned to them both. She only had eyes for Pyrrha, however, and it was clear his input was neither requested nor desired. "Tell your partner, Pyrrha. She can't just flout the rules like this."

"Pyrrha..." Ruby's eyes were wide.

Pyrrha sighed and crossed her arms. "I don't see why it's such a big deal," she said, and Jaune watched nervously as Ruby's eyes began to water and Weiss nodded. "If Ruby wants to wear it, just let her. If the teachers say anything she'll need to take it off, but otherwise, I don't see the harm."

Ruby and Weiss' expressions reversed with incredible speed, and the silver-eyed girl used the moment's distraction to tug her hood free and rush over to give her partner a hug.

"That, that is-" Weiss scowled. "Well, what do you think, Arc?"

"I wasn't aware my opinion mattered," Jaune said dumbly. "It didn't before."

"Wha-I-uh..." Weiss' cheeks flushed as she stammered for words. Was she sick? He wondered why she looked so panicked.

"But, if it does, I hope she can keep it. I mean, it doesn't hurt anyone and besides..." he trailed off for a moment to look towards her. He'd been about to say it was good for covering her eyes before his sister-trained instincts kicked in and he remembered that seven out of seven sisters would have kicked his ass for saying that. What was it they liked to hear again? "She looks cute in it."

There was a muffled gasp and up went the hood – covering Ruby's face and eyes. That made it easier for him to breathe since he was still getting used to those.

Weiss looked at him, more than a little flabbergasted. "W-Well, I uh... fine. I suppose I shall let this one go, but! The moment a teacher tells you to take it off, you have to, understood?"

Ruby mumbled something that might have contained the word yes, but probably didn't. It seemed to be enough for Weiss, who shook her head and glowered at all three of them. Ruby stuck her tongue out while he shuffled in place. It was Pyrrha who raised an eyebrow in return, and that proved enough to have Weiss stop and storm out of the room.

"I suppose we should follow her," Pyrrha sighed. "I'm sorry Ruby, I feel like I should have done more."

"It's okay." Ruby whispered, the red of her hood reflecting off her cheeks, "You helped. Won't Weiss be mad at you, though?"

"You're my partner," Pyrrha said with a little smile.

That left Jaune to wonder, as they made their way out of the room, what his role in the affair was supposed to be. If Pyrrha stuck up for her partner, was he meant to do the same for Weiss? No answer seemed forthcoming, and as they jogged down the corridors they eventually caught up with the irate leader, who spared them a critical glance but otherwise didn't complain.

They entered the cafeteria as a full team, and Jaune marvelled at the wide array of people sat at various benches. There were so much more than he'd seen in the initiation, probably the other years coming to breakfast.

Weiss sighed and looked around. "We should find a table to oursel-"

"Hey, look!" Ruby cheered, "There's Yang and her team – come on guys!"