Kayla frowned, remembering Raven’s predicament. Raven being unconscious in the hospital wing might make it easier for her to defeat the House of Glamours, but strangely, it didn’t make her very happy. Raven was even more innocent than Dahlia and Troy; she had only been introduced to the magical world about a month ago. She hadn’t even been claimed since Niccolo was in Varmer’s custody. Without her shape-shifting ability, she was helpless to other magicians.

                “Kayla?” Cedric repeated.

                She snapped out of her reverie yet again, mentally chiding herself for getting distracted. The slightest distraction in the magical world could get you killed.               

                “What is it?” she asked.

                “Is Luna fine?” Cedric repeated, chewing on a large bite of chicken pie.

                “Oh, yes,” Kayla said. “But Raven isn’t.”

                “Raven?” Hunter repeated. “What happened to her?”

                Kayla explained to Cedric and Hunter what happened to Raven in a low voice and how Raven had saved Luna’s life. Then she told them about how Sapphire had saved Raven but now Raven was in a coma in the hospital wing.

                “Oh boy,” Cedric said when Kayla had finished her tale. “Poor Raven! Do you know if she’s okay?”

                Kayla shrugged. “I don’t know.”

                She turned around to look at the Water table. Dahlia and Sapphire were sitting next to each other, their blonde heads close together as they talked. Dahlia caught Kayla’s eye and waved, smiling. Kayla nodded back.

                “Why is Sapphire here?” Hunter asked. “Shouldn’t she be looking after Raven since she’s so sick?”

                Kayla shrugged, turning back to the Earth table.

                “Maybe Jared’s looking after her,” Cedric suggested.

                Kayla pivoted around again to look at the Air table, scanning her eye along all the magicians. Cedric was right; Jared wasn’t there.

                “Look at Romulus and Tamarak,” Hunter muttered.

                Kayla looked. They were glaring at each other and alternating that and eating their dinner. Remus, Romulus’s twin brother, sat between the, glancing awkwardly at them and trying to keep the peace between them.

                “Merry Christmas, Sapphire,” Cedric joked. “That’s what happens when you’ve got two guys after you at the same time.”

                Kayla raised an eyebrow at his insinuation; Cedric had just perfectly described what Dahlia was going through with him and Troy, although Dahlia didn’t have any romantic feelings for Cedric.

                Hunter changed the subject. “The Moon Children are furious that their Queen almost got killed,” he told Kayla. “They might even break off the alliance with us.”

                Kayla’s thoughts snapped back to Luna. She knew that the alliance between the magicians and Moon Children was shaky, but she hoped that it wasn’t dire enough that they might turn on the magicians at the Elementary and start fighting for Varmer.