9

^^ Flintlock-Style Magic Hand-Cannon ^^

Kindle was very surprised that I could keep up with her, and even more surprised that I was able to properly hold a crossbow while doing so; and I'll admit, it wasn't the ideal scenario for shooting, and the crossbow was weak and a bit off in its trajectory, but I managed first blood, which she was also quite irritated about.

I stayed next to her instead of advancing with the others, examining the oncoming group. The enemies were spread in a fan-like situation, much like a herd of rushing deer, so collapsing a flank would cause them to collect into one place, making them easier to target. "Where are the ones I'm here for going to be? What do they look like?" I asked, realizing I didn't know.

She glanced at me, and hummed. "I have no clue, but they were injured and weakened, so they'll be at the back, most likely."

"Good to know." I nodded and sprinted off horizontally, intending to head off one of the flanks. Reloading the crossbow while I was running was easy after so many years of practice, despite the unfamiliar construction, so I continued taking potshots at the ones nearest me as I went. I aimed specifically for the ones that looked like they were holding their own, disabling their knees or shoulders to take them out of the fight non-lethally; I was only here for two of their heads, after all.

"Where we headed?" Kindle asked, keeping pace on my left, my non-dominant arm. Being that she was left-handed, it was a good match.

"Collapse the flank and the deer group up, makes shooting them easier. Harder to miss a target that size." I kicked one enemy who'd gotten too close, attempting to take his knee out from under him and instead breaking it entirely. "These boots are pretty useful, thanks for that, by the way." I hummed, and stomped on his chin, knocking him out.

"No problem." She grinned, stabbing her spear through someone on her side, cleanly going through his shoulder.

"So, is it a general, non-spoken rule that killing in this scenario is sorta not the first option? Because almost everyone seems to be fighting non-lethally?" I asked, cracking another enemy in the sternum with the butt of the crossbow, sending her to the ground as she tried to breath through the intense pain.

"Generally, yes. Otherwise it'd be a horrendous waste of life, wouldn't it?" She asked, confused, and leapt over me, using my shoulder as a springboard. On the way down she slashed one enemy across the front of his armor, ripping the steel breastplate in half, along with most of the ribs under it.

"I agree, my dear. It's a good change of pace, is all." I drew my new hammer, now that I was out of crossbow bolts, (I'd only had 20,) and slung the ranged weapon over my shoulder again.

"You should have a shield, if you're using only one weapon." She hummed, slashing the thighs of another enemy in leather armor, then using the weighted brass end cap to knock them out.

"I'd like to have one hand free, is all... and I can use the axe if I need to, this way." I explained, and grabbed a spear that had been stabbed at me, kicking the owner in the chest solidly.

Kindle winced at the heavy crunching sound from under my boot, and the person fell, coughing up blood. Immediately, a person from the Rise appeared, grabbing them and disappearing again. "That was a really good hit." Kindle explained to my perplexed face.

I looked behind me, and instead of the downed enemies I expected, there were just a few splashes of blood and discarded weaponry, instead. "Huh... those people are very good at their work, I didn't even notice them!" I backhanded the hammer into the chest of an enemy that had leapt off of something with an axe, and his momentum canceled perfectly, leaving him hanging in the air for a split second before he smacked into the ground.