Chapter Fourteen

"I didn't abandon you. I'm here nor I?" She sobbed.

"No, mom! Yesterday I almost freeze to death and this morning there was a gun-related situation which I was m.i.a for hours cause no one let me into a classroom. And— and you are telling me that you were at a show. Ok. Don't you get it? You are never around."

"Nicole, I'm sorry that you feel I have abandoned you. You have to understand that I am a single mother and I need to provide for you. Everything I have done is for you."

Tears falling down, I couldn't help to cry and cry. "Can you just hold me, please? I just need you to hold me. Don't save me I can save myself but hold me when I need you and I feel sad and need some support. Don't try to save me I just need my mom to hold me and listen to me." There it was, the unknown sensation I for once got to experience: safety.

We cleaned our souls by crying, letting every drop of water that filled the cup that was consuming us drained out. Finally, I got to talk with my mom for the first time in a long time.

"I left my glasses at the bathroom, I'm gonna go get it." Mom informed standing up walking to the bathroom.

I raised my head, the ringing cellphone brought me out of my happy bubble. I picked up the cellphone which was ringing shrilly on my mom's purse. The caller id indicated that the call was from Nick, the manager of my mother. I declined the call, but putting back the cellphone into my mom's purse I grabbed what it seems to be a birthday card.

"Dear Nicole,
Happy birthday, sweetheart! I hope you have an amazing day. You are very beautiful. I love you.
Dad"

"Huh? That's not dad's handwriting!" I wrinkled my forehead in confusion. Taking the envelope to see who the sender was I realized that I didn't recognize the name of the guy who implied that I am his daughter.

"Mom! Mom!" I yelled walking to her with the card in my hand.

Looking at me through the mirror as she puts on lipstick I blurted, "Why does this Nate guy say I'm his daughter? Huh?" I asked.

She continues to put lipstick on. "Answer me! Is this true?" I asked with a breaking voice.

I don't know why you're getting so upset, ok?" She finally answered. I just stood there. "So, the man you know as your father isn't your real father and your father sent you a birthday card. Big deal."

"No, it is a big deal. You know, you said that dad is my dad which he is not, I've been living with an absent father my whole life while my real father has been trying to get in touch with me." I exhaled. "How many more are, mom, and don't lie," I asked.