"Do you still think of them? Your family? I still have dreams, but I can no longer see their faces."

I wasn't sure how to respond. Gloria wasn't one to discuss serious topics.

"I don't remember them." I answered, turning back towards the sky.

"How could you not? You did have a life before you came here. I see you with your bear. You have to remember..."

"I don't remember their faces, their voices, nothing. I remember an explosion. My sister gave me that bear. It's all I have left."

I don't know how long we sat there in silence. I could see the reflection of the fireworks in her eyes. I could still see the worry. Even though she had more time to adjust, she wanted her family. She wanted more than this.

"Magnolia." She started. "Do you know how old you are?"

I shook my head. I stopped counting after my eleventh birthday. Clara couldn't afford to celebrate every child's birthday and it didn't feel the same celebrating without my family. Once I turned eleven, I told her to spend on her money on the youngest children. It had mattered to them the most.

"Will we be friends forever? We are always going to be together, right?" I could hear the strain in her voice.

Out of all the years I had been in this house, this was the first night that I hugged Gloria. She had started crying before I had my arms wrapped around her. I continued to watch the fireworks as she cried. I wasn't sure how long she held all of this emotion inside of her, but it certainly was soaking my nightgown.

Six months later, Clara died. When I got up that morning, I found the other girls crying as they surrounded her bed. She had passed in her sleep. I didn't see any indication of and decided to call the police. Twenty minutes later, I heard sirens outside of the house. We watched as they put Clara on a stretcher and loaded her into the ambulance. A man I recognized was walking through the house, counting all of us. He stopped at me.

"Magnolia?" He questioned, reaching out for my hair.

I stood there, staring at the scruffy beard I touched so many years ago. Johnathon smiled before hugging me.

"When they told me what happened with Clara, I had to come see that you were alright. I remembered those big brown eyes in the hospital."

"Where are we going?" I managed to say after he let me go.

He looked confused for a moment as he watched my fingers move, but Gloria stepped in and explained. He turned to me and smiled.

"We are going to have to find a home for all of you. But like I promised before, I am going to make sure that you are taken care of."

Gloria and I watched as the men went to work. The ambulance that held Clara had gone and we were forced to pack up our belongings.

"We don't get separated." Gloria said to me. I nodded, taking her hand as we went down the stairs.

We watched as the girls were pulled apart from each other. There were cries and screams as bonds were broken. Gloria held tightly on my arm. I could see Johnathon talking into a phone before smiling to me. It took another hour and a half before he came back to me. Most of the girls were gone and Gloria still clutched to my side.

"I found a place for you. It's in another state but I'm sure you will be alright there." He said, grabbing my bag.

"She comes with me." I looked to Gloria. Johnathon stopped, looking between the both of us.