Chapter One

I was six when my family passed away. I couldn't breathe. My throat was dry and burning, pulling me from my sleep. I rubbed my eyes, confused as to what was happening. A cloud of smoke was making its way through the house. I grabbed my purple stuffed bear that my sister had bought for my second birthday and ran into my parent's room. The smell of the fire had been horrific.

"Mommy..." I called and pulled onto her arm until her eyes opened. After she had come out of her daze, she looked at me with concern on her face. Her eyes widened and she reached over to my father.

"Joshua!" She yelled as she jumped out of bed. "Go get your sister."

I ran into her room. Sidney was wrapped deep in her comforter. She was going to get me for it later but I smacked her across the head as hard as I could. She jumped up, glaring at me before her face softened. She grabbed my hand and we met my parents in the hallway. My father guided us through the fire towards our emergency exit. The smoke was deep in our lungs and we coughed our way through. Our escape route was blocked by a blazing fire. My father looked to my mother before running through to locate the door.

"Josh!" I heard my mother scream, hearing a loud cracking noise on the side my father had run to.

"I'm here, love. Throw Magnolia, hurry!"

My mother and Sidney picked me up. I was beyond scared and squeezed my eyes closed as I felt myself flying through the air. I could feel the sting of fire on my back as I went through before landing into my dad's arms. He ushered me outside and I watched as Sidney flew through the fire after me.

"Mom!" I screamed, watching as the house caved in on them. I ran towards the house, trying to look through the fire when I saw Sidney. She was holding onto my teddy bear.

"Mags, you have to get back!" She tossed me the bear but I let it fall to the ground as I grabbed her hands. A part of the house was on her legs and I was too small to pull her from under. I couldn't see Mom or Dad to help. A terrifying screech came from her as the fire made it way over her body. I pulled harder but could feel her becoming limp in my hands.

"Around the house!" I heard men yelling. The sirens became louder and the flashing lights were blinding as they surrounded us. As much as I pulled onto Sidney, she wouldn't budge.

I could hear water being sprayed onto the house as the men made their way through the fire. A pair of arms wrapped around me, pulling me away from Sidney. My parents. I fought against him but he held onto me tight as he ran from the house. The last thing I saw was an explosion.

When I woke up, I couldn't feel the right side of my body. There were bandages wrapped around my tiny limbs. I wanted to lift my hand, but I was too tired to do so. I was able to turn my head just enough to see nurses and police outside of my room. One of the ladies noticed me and walked in.

"Don't try to move honey. You are in pretty bad shape." She said, walking towards me. She checked some numbers on the machine and looked over my bandages. She smiled to me as she ran a hand over my hair.

"You are so lucky darling. You would have been dead if the firefighter didn't block you from the explosion."

Explosion. Sidney. "Where's Sidney?" I mumbled.

The heartbroken look on her face told me that I was the only one left. She went over to a chair and brought something back. It was my teddy bear. I could feel the tears roll down my face when she laid it beside me. She stroked my hair, telling me everything was going to be alright, while I cried.