Chapter 1: Virgil's POV

Its been three months since Thomas let me and the others into his house. I dont know why he really let us in, I was hiding in the corner at that wretched place. Why did I go in? I saw all the people there. Curiosity. Im sure thats why the others went in too. Curiosity or stupidity. Either way, Thomas gave us each a room, why he had so many I'll never know, perhaps he always wanted people in his home to keep him company. Maybe deep down he felt just as lonely as we all did coming here.

"Virgil? Time for food kiddo." Patton knocked on my door, pulling me from my thoughts. Hoping down from my dresser I went back to their size, about 4 ft 10, and opened the door.

"Alright, I'm coming." Patton smiled and went downstairs to join the others for breakfast. I slipped on my patchwork hoodie and went down before he came back up to fetch me. Nearly falling down the stairs on the way down, Roman put his arms up in triumph.

"Your prince has arrived!" He smiled and came into the kitchen, Remus following behind.

"Dont forget the Duke!" Patton smiled, Logan rolled his eyes.

"I'm going to bed. Get me up if you need anything Patton." Logan went upstairs to bed, taking his cup of coffee with him. Patton gave everyone food them looked around the table.

"Wheres Deceit? Hes always-" A pair of gloved hands wrapped around Pattons waist and I growled, nearly getting up to get his filthy hands off Patton. "There he is." Patton smiled, putting his hands on Deceits to get him off, Janus set his head on Pattons shoulder.

"Here I am." He mimicked Pattons voice and I stood moving to get Deceit off him. When I moved for him Deceit backed off.

"Just sit and eat." I growled and sat back down. Patton gave me a soft smile of thanks and sat down as Deceit sat by Thomas. Deceit hissed as he sat. We both had a tendency of hissing when we were annoyed. It seemed to weird everyone except Patton out. Even though he's the second youngest, he acts like he's everyones dad. Maybe he had younger siblings he took care of before Logan found him, or maybe he's just a weirdo who wants to be a dad. I'll never know. Finishing my food I took my plate to the sink and sat it down carefully. Patton insisted on the glass plates and I wasnt going to chance breaking one of those things.

"So how did everyone sleep?" Patton ate a bit more of his food as he asked, trying to start up conversations and break the silence.

"Couldve been better." Deceit looked bored as he answered, poking at his food.

"I slept fine Patton, thanks for asking." Thomas smiled. Roman complained that Remus kept him up and it ended up sparking an argument in which Patton had to get between the two to stop them. Taking the opportunity, I snuck out of the kitchen, but only made it halfway up the stairs. Thomas set his hand on my shoulder gently.

"I know you want to be alone, but could we talk for a minute? You've been really distant lately and I just wanna make sure youre okay. Patton and I have been kinda worried about you." I shrugged his hand off.

"Im fine, I just prefer to be alone alright?"

"I know but, closing yourself off isnt going to help anyone, especially not yourself."

"Thomas, look, Ive been alone all my life, dont get me wrong here, its nice that youve given me somewhere to stay and feel at least a bit safe... But you cant expect me to adjust quickly. Everyone else had someone with them. Logan had Patton, Roman had Remus, and Janus had whoever he wanted. I had nothing, nobody. I just... I need time." Thomas nodded a bit and I went to my room.

As I was going in Thomas called out, "Just let me know if you need anything alright Virge?" I nodded and went into my room. Sighing I sat on my dresser and shrank back down to my regular size. Nobody ever came in my room when I was in there, so nobody knows I could get as small as I do. Well, almost nobody. I did let one person know. I looked around, everything was so big, the pencils scattered on my dresser were even bigger than I was, not by that much though.

I moved to the little hut I made out of paper and string, it was like my own little house when I wanted to be away from everyone. It had some soft fabric that Thomas helped me pick out when I first arrived. He didnt know what it was for, but he didnt pry that much into it. I cuddled up into the fabric and laid in it. I wanted to fall asleep, but if one of them came in and I didnt hear, I'd be in for some trouble. It's not like I didnt want to tell them, I just didnt want them to take advantage of me being as small as I am. People did it all the time and I'm just looking out for myself. After laying there for awhile, I unintentionally fell asleep into the soft fabrics, forgetting about the others.