Chapter 24: The Box

Start from the beginning

"Reana." I muttered. Athena nodded, and she was looking intensely at me, as if she was trying to puzzle me out. "Why? What's the matter? Who's Reana?" She asked, question after question. I closed my eyes. I was back to that time when the gods asked me where my parents are. "I'm an orphan." I told them. "They died in a car crash." I told them. But that was a lie. A partial lie. My dad died in a car crash. My mom was nowhere. She left. "We should get some rest." I sighed, closing my eyes. It was a lot to take in. I had a box with mom's things inside of it, things dad didn't want me to see.

Should I open it? Am I supposed to?

"Aren't we heading back to New York?" Athena asked. I gulped. "No - uh - we have to go check the yacht tomorrow, and then go back to New York." I told her, she nodded, but she still looked concerned. I took the box and left with a 'goodnight'.

I never thought about my mother, because I don't want to. The only memories I wanted go back to was when I was a little kid, like that time at the pool. She was a sweetheart, an absolute sweetheart. But she left when I was fourteen. But even at thirteen, I already felt her leaving. She suddenly went cold on me. She wasn't the sweetheart I grew up to. She was different. And then one afternoon I come home to see my dad in the living room, drinking. And then he told me that mom left us. And I hated her.

A live debate started in my head. Should I open it or not? It was like rubbish in my hands. Like poison. It felt illegal. I felt like I wasn't supposed to get ahold of this box. But curiosity had bit me, and the 'open it' side of the debate had won. The first thing I saw inside had already made me regret opening it. "Hospital papers?" I croaked out. I was alone in my room, and I felt chilly. Hospital? I unfolded the papers and read it. Every word felt like a rock being dropped to my stomach. St. Luke's Facility for the Mentally and Emotionally Ill. A mental hospital. And then the papers said it was dad who called them. It was dad who locked her up in there. Why? I felt betrayed. Dad lied to me. He said she left us but he drove her away. I wanted to ask him questions but where is he now? Rotting.

I put the papers beside me and rummage further into the box. Pictures of mom. Pictures of mom and dad. Pictures of the three of us. It was such a stab in the heart. It was like dad had forcefully hid all of our happy memories and tied it together with brown crepe paper, tucked away neatly in his soon-to-be-untouched office. The discharge papers of when I was born was there, too. Why is that there? Sure, my mom gave birth to me, but my discharge papers have absolutely nothing to do with her. Is it why she's locked up in an asylum? No, it couldn't have been. She was there for me before thirteen. Something happened, and I need to know. But right now, with my head throbbing and spinning and my guts starting to churn, I think it's better if I go to sleep.

The docks were wet and icky and smelly and gross. Athena looked okay with it, I think I looked okay with it, too. I looked okay with it. I knew it was the right decision to wear slippers today. "What if it sunk?" I asked Athena. "The last time that was ever boarded was when I was twelve." I added, and she shrugged. "Why would it sink anyway, it's a yacht." Athena answered. I quirked an eyebrow and sighed. "Nice logic." I muttered, and Athena heaved a deep breath. It was a sunny day, and it was supposed to be great. But it was nearing 12 noon and the sunlight wasn't a vitamin anymore. It could literally pass as cancer. She stopped walking and I did, too. "We should ask around."

"You think?" I sighed, rolling my eyes at her whilst wiping away the sweat that fell like Niagara.

We turned to the nearest long-bearded man who could pass off as a sailor and tapped him on the shoulder. He was tan from the obvious days of strolling along the docks, and he had a friendly face, stained with the numerous gaps on his teeth. "Hi." I said, smiling sheepishly. He nodded at me. "Well hi there, missies. You look very out of place." He said in a 'very out of place' tone, since he sounded more like a cowboy to me. "Do you know a yacht named Moondust?" I asked. The man looked at the sky and shook his head. "I think I know it, but Ella should know. I think I heard that she's the caretaker of it." He answered.

Caretaker. "Shit." Athena muttered, grabbing the papers from me. "Caretaker: Ella Fairview." Athena read aloud, and she glared at me for not noticing it before. I muttered a 'sorry' and instead asked for Ella from the man. "She's at the next dock, probably taking care of yer' boat."

"It's a yacht, and thank you." Athena said, and without waiting for the man's reply, she pulled me away and stomped to the next dock. "Ooh, sassy." I muttered, miraculously grinning at Athena who had wrinkles on her forehead. "Ooh, stupid." She groaned. "Four hours of walking around 24 docks, Yhanie. And hey, there happened to be a caretaker who we could've had asked around for! How genius, really." She yelped, gripping my wrist like she was intent on crushing it. "Jesus, sorry. I'm just really light-headed at the moment." I muttered under my breath, but she was sharp on catching that. "Is it because of Reana?" She said, and I pretended not to hear.

Ella was surprisingly young. She was a woman in her 20s, but unfortunately, she had a baby clinging to her calling her 'mommy'. She was absolutely stunning even if her hair was in a messy bun (not a hipster messy bun) and her clothes damp from the sweat caused by the afternoon sun.

"So you're his daughter?" She said in a low tone. I nodded. "And he's dead?" She asked again. This time, I thought it'd be awkward if I nodded at her for the second time. "Car crash. You didn't know?" I asked.

"No." She shook her head. "He missed three months of payment for little Moondust's care taking, and then one day, a man in a suit came here to do just that. He introduced himself as a lawyer, and he's been handling the payments ever since." She explained. Jesus Christ, I think I need to talk to Mr. Thatcher about dad's will. It seems like he's been doing all the dirty work ever since he went. "So," she said, pulling me from my train of thought. "You're here to use Moondust?" Ella asked.

"Yeah, but not now." I answered. "Just a heads up. We'll probably head over here this week to use it, so I'd be more than happy to see you when we come over." I said. Ella nodded. "Is my husband going to sail for you, Miss Woods?" Ella asked, hopeful for the thought of money. I was about to say 'yes' when Athena cut me off. "No, thank you." She looked at me as she wiggled her eyebrow. "I know how to sail."

And the disappointment in Ella's face was heartbreaking.

-------------------

Ayeeeee hiiii guys! It's me it's me it's me!

I am so stressed out right now guys like oh my gosh I haven't moved on from the fact that The Guardian magically got deleted LIKE THAT WAS A MONTH WORTH OF WRITING YOU CAN'T JUST DO THAT TO ME WATTPAD HOW DARE YOU.

Anyway, I swear guys I am trying to commit, but school is such a bitch to me. My social life is such a bitch to me. Cheerleading is such a bitch to me. Everything is such a bitch to me that I forget about my next plans for SDTG and IT'S SO FRUSTRATING.

On the other hand, CONNOR FRANTA IS AN OBSESSION. Nuff said.

So, again, I'd love to hear from you guys! Write a comment below!! Vote for the chapters and for every other chapters because VOTES ARE AMAZING!!! And like seriously I want to know what you guys THINK and WANT and HDJSLAOWJSMSJSS EVERYTHING.

Speaking of everything, The Theory of Everything is definitely a must-watch AND OH MY GOD EDDIE REDMAYNE, AMIRITE.

Thanks for reading this chapter guuuuuys! Don't go looking for unicorns because they're shy and shit. Thank you for everything!! <3
-Jam

PS. ADD 'Moondust? Really?' to your comment below to earn a dedication <3

PPS. I'M ALREADY WRITING THE NEXT CHAPTER BECAUSE IT'S SO EXCITING YEHEY I THINK YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN WOO.