Chapter IV

Lincoln left the balcony doors open as he led Blythe back to the living room. Confusion and wonderment coursed through her body, mingling in a whiplash cocktail of being in an entirely new continent but only because she was kidnapped.

The idea of it still rattled around in her head, not yet settled into realization that she may never see anyone she loved or cared about ever again. In fact, she had absolutely no idea what to do.

She sat on the couch, staring absently at a spot on the blank wall across from her. Lincoln sat beside her. "I can show you why you're here," he said and placed his palm flat against hers.

Blythe's body stilled for a moment, and then her eyes widened, pupils dilating but not focused on anything. Flashes of images whirled around her mind like an old film reel before they slowly converged into one, a movie behind her eyes. She saw through her eyes drinking tea on the balcony, felt the touch on her shoulder, the throw over the balcony by the man outside the ramen shop. A chill shuddered down her spine when her body hit the grass, but there was no feeling but wet dew soaking into the back of her shirt. No pain but an ache in her head from where the man struck her. Alive. How was she alive?

Lincoln removed his hand, and suddenly the bare walls were in front of her again. The memory of her fall floods to her like a tidal wave, momentarily toppling her senses and consuming her breath.

Lincoln watched her with an unwavering gaze. "Do you remember?"

She nodded, tongue twisted. She didn't understand. How could this be? And the man – her heart stopped. What if he came after Adam as well?

"No." Lincoln shook his head. "He is only after you. The only way he can contact Isabella is through your death."

"But I'm not dead," she managed to stutter.

"You were for a few seconds. He needed to tell Isabella something, and that's what worries me."

"She's awakened," Matt murmured, grave. Lincoln nodded. Lorelai had a hard look on her face.

"Who's Isabella?" Blythe asked.

"Someone we were trying to keep asleep for a long time. But it was only a matter of time until we failed." Matt said, deep in thought.

Lincoln let out a frustrated exhale. "We can't rush the girl into this, Matthias. She needs to get to know us first."

"Get out of my head!" Matt shouted. "It's not my fault she's oblivious!"

"More than oblivious," Lorelai scoffed. "She knows absolutely nothing."

Blythe wanted to scream. Her headache persisted and worsened, the throbbing deepening and moving around her head the longer she listened to them argue about things she didn't understand.

"Do you have Advil?" her voice was quiet, but they hushed.

"No. We still have to stock the kitchen. I can get you some."

Matt rolled his eyes. "I'll do it." He blinked out of existence, and then reappeared. He tossed a large bottle of extra-strength Advil onto her lap. "You'll probably need more later."

"Why?" she asked.

"Well, now that you've got two people in there," he tapped the side of his head with his knuckle.

Blythe was lost. What did that mean?

"Matt, go get food." Lincoln glared. "Lorelai, go with him."

Matt shrugged and took Lorelai's hand. They disappeared.

Blythe's shoulders sagged as if a great weight had been taken off them. She didn't realize how frightened she really was of Matthias. At least Lincoln seemed pleasant, even if he was part of her kidnapping.