Chapter 5: Breakfast hits and misses

Start from the beginning

“Well then fuck you.”

For a second I only stared at him, then I shook my head.

 “If you really love him… and I know you do, then you’ll do whatever it takes to make sure he’s safe.”

“He’s always been safe.”

I shook my head. “It’s time to wake up, your denial isn’t helping your family. ”

Finally I turned and exited the room, closing the door softly behind me.

I paused outside his door and took a breath, certain I’d only succeeded in poking at the flames rather than cooling them as I’d planned. I was completely at a loss. A part of me wished I’d never had the misfortune of catching Jason the other night, then I wouldn’t need to be the voice of reason in this delicate situation.

Then another part of me was grateful for their presence in my life.  Timmy was like a breath of fresh air in my stale, lonely house and when he wasn’t being completely irrational, Jason was  just as revitalizing, but  the truth was, I didn’t know what I was doing and I only hoped that no matter what Jason decided, I wasn’t forcing them both into a terrible ordeal.

  I glanced down the hall and looked longingly at my bedroom door, knowing that once again I’d be spending the night on the couch. I ran a hand through my hair and let out a frustrated breath before making my way down the hall, then down the stairs, turning out the lights as I went.

Just as I flipped on the television, the phone went off and I lowered myself into the couch and stretched across the empty cushion to grab the phone from where it was lodged between the chair arm and the cushion.

“O’Connolly.” I answered on the second ring.

“You don’t sound like a man who’s been resting.” My buddy John’s voice issued over the line and I grinned, resting my back against the arm of the chair.

“Yeah well rest aint what it used to be.”

He chuckled. “I hear yah.  How’s the shoulder?”

I shrugged. “Could be better, but I’m not complaining. How’s Kyle?”

“Kyle is…Kyle. He’s actually the reason I’m calling, we’re—”

 “Have you told him yet? Don’t let him hang up until he says he’s coming. Michael needs to get out and breathe every once in a while” I heard Kyle—John’s partner—say in the background and I shook my head.

“Where exactly am I supposed to say yes to going?” I asked, certain John could hear the grin in my voice.

“We’re hosting a little get-together down by Dave’s bar next weekend. You should come down for a few hours, drink a couple a beers, shoot some pool with the guys... we’re all starting to wonder if you’re still living.”

I snorted, “Yeah well tell the assholes I’m alive and kicking and tell Peter to be ready for a good ass whopping when I get back.” I chuckled and John joined in.

“Doesn’t sound like a yes for next weekend.” He commented and once again I shrugged to myself.

“I can’t…something’s come up that I need to take care of. It’s a crazy time right now.”

 A pause on the line, then; “Sounds serious, you need any help?” he couldn’t mask the concern in his voice and I was grateful, but I shook my head knowing full well he couldn’t see me.

“Nah I’ve got it under control for now…tell Kyle I’ll catch the next one.”

Another pause.