⋖Chapter 18⋗

Josh's P.O.V.

Simon and I looked at each other as two of the boys greeted Harry and Vikk, clearly having met each other before. My gaze shifted to the other boys who were sitting, looking very confused, two holding hands tightly and one, the only one with facial hair, with his arm around the youngest looking ones waist. I was just relieved that I hadn't lost Simon and the other two, after losing track of them when I stopped paying attention.

"Looks like we're staying here for a while." I mumbled to Simon, resting my head on top of his, watching as the Vikk and Harry greeted the two brown haired, brown eyed boys enthusiastically. "But I don't think I'm against that." He smiled.

"Neither am I honestly." He said tiredly, his eyes flickering. "Because I'm exhausted."

--------------------------------------------

It didn't take very long to be introduced to the new characters, but not before Simon fell asleep in my lap. He was exhausted after a long day of walking, plus him being ill, which meant the moment we sat down he was dropping off against me, his eyes sliding shut. I held him close, whispering gently into his ear.

The two boys that Vikk and Harry already knew were called Mitch and Jerome, but they hadn't known each other for very long. They had met up not long before I had found them and had only stayed for a week or so, so they didn't know each other very well, but then again it was rare to know anyone. Both boys were sweet and pretty talkative too, especially to the boys they knew.

The other three were quieter, looking between each other. The older two continued to hold hands and leaned up against each other like Simon had been doing to me before he passed out, exchanging a couple of words on occasion. The youngest boy, the only blonde one of the group, didn't move from where he was lying against the oldest boy. He didn't speak but his eyes flickered between us, wide and curious.

Once Harry and Vikk sat back down they properly introduced us to Jerome and Mitch, explaining how and why they knew at each other. I didn't talk to them that much but when I did it was very clear that they were together and were very sweet, happy to have more people to talk to.

I didn't sleep very well that night mostly because there were strangers lying within feet of me and Simon and I was uneasy, worried that they might... attack us? I didn't think so but I still couldn't sleep, even as Vikk and Harry slept soundly. I didn't see Mitch or Jerome stir all night but there was the occasional sleepy whisper from Lachlan, Rob or Preston, the boys in the other group, about what I didn't know, but they did wake a few times.

The sleep I did get was punctured with long periods of lying awake staring at the stars, wondering what this could lead to. I knew it was the start of something new, but I was worried about Simon so much. He was ill, very ill and although I would be glad for their help and company... I didn't know.

---------------------------------------------------

My heart was troubled for the next while, because Simon was slowly getting worse and worse. He had been able to walk for a little while before but now he could hardly sit up on his own, he barely ate anything because it would all just come back up and his hands shook whenever he tried to hold something. I knew he was dying, and I didn't know what I would do if he did. Sure I had Vikk and Harry to look after, but maybe not. We had this other group now.

Harry was slowly worsening too. He looked gaunt, his cheeks hollowed and bags under his eyes, and he could barely stand either. Vikk cried himself to sleep on the second night and eventually crawled into my arms to try and get some sleep, but I think he knew as well, what was going on.

About a week in Rob came up to me, playing with his fingers. Simon was asleep in my lap.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked softly, glancing over at the others. Harry was asleep too, Mitch and Preston were flicking pebbles at each other across the clearing and Vikk and Lachlan were talking quietly together, an occasion smile flickering across their faces. Those two had stoked up a quick friendship and seemed to get along pretty well.

"Yeah...?" I said, confused, waiting as he sat down beside me.

"It's about Simon and Harry and Vikk. They're really ill, aren't they?" I sighed and nodded.

"Yeah. Vikk's the easiest to explain, he's got rickets and is just physically weak, so he can't walk very far. He's better than he was, but still not great. Harry... he hasn't fully explained it to me yet but he's slowly been getting worse since I met him. He doesn't want to scare Vikk. Si... god just... he's been sick for a while. It's never been this bad but it's getting worse. He can't eat anything, his hair's falling out. I'm scared for him."

I let out an uneasy breath and closed my eyes for a moment, digging my nails into my palm.

"I'm so scared. If Harry dies then it'll leave Vikk all alone and if Si dies..." I couldn't even finish the sentence. I didn't want to think about.

Rob leaned over and squeezed my shoulder, his face pale.

"I- I'm sorry." He said quietly, sounding completely genuine. "I didn't know. Just... if the worst does happen then we will look after you and Vikk, I promise. Lachlan's already taken to Vikk and I'll be here for you if you ever need me, just in case."

"Thanks Rob." I whispered, turning my attention back to Simon, who was still asleep. "But I hope I won't need it."

Something told me that it would be sooner than later that I would.