In which Will looks into the past

Will's P.O.V

The feeling of skin on skin contact was delightful, especially if it's my skin and Nico's coming in contact. I could feel his rough skin sliding against mine as we gripped each other tight. For some people, hiding hands is just something they do to show they care, but for me, holding hands is security. It's the feeling that I'm not alone, and as long as someone is there holding my hand, I don't ever have to be.

The pavilion was quickly approaching and yet Nico still hadn't released his grip. I smiled internally as a sense of pride grabbed my heart with both hands and refused to let go. I remember a time when just getting Nico to smile was an effort in itself, and now here we are holding hands.

"What's got you so happy?" Nico asked as we crossed the threshold of the pavilion.

I shrugged. "Life in general."

Nico sent me a confused look. "Life is making you happy?"

"Yup." I replied simply as we took our seats at the Apollo table. It was another busy night in camp half blood, and due to the number of campers attending dinner, I knew it was capture the flag tonight. I really need to start listening to camp news. I quietly ate my baked potato, and watched Nico nibble at his steak. He always seemed to be a bit nervous around a large group of people.

"You can relax, they're just campers." I tried to calm him down.

Nico's head whipped up at the sound of my voice. "Right, yeah..." I discretely watched Nico out of the corner of my eye for the rest of dinner. In that short time I picked up a few things I hadn't noticed before. For instance, when Nico takes a bite, he tends to chew his food for a long time before swallowing. And when he's in between bites, he seems to twirl his fork in his fingers. I couldn't help but release a small chuckle when he dropped his fork after twirling it a bit too much. His cheeks turned cherry red as he picked his fork back up.

"Oops." He muttered quietly. Just as I was about to make a funny remark, Chiron cleared his throat and every campers eyes were immediately on him.

"Campers, as you should already know, tonight is capture the flag. I will be making my way to each cabin head to let you know what team you'll be on. Word of caution, anyone still not fully recovered from the war should play at their own discretion." Chiron had barely finished when excited murmurs began to break out. I turned to Nico and saw a large smile on his face.

"I'm guessing you want to play?" I asked with a teasing glint in my eye.

"Obviously." Nico rolled his eyes. So much sass in such a small body.

"I guess you should head over to your table so Chiron can find you."

Nico nodded before turning to walk away.

"And Nico?" I called making him turn back around to face me.

"Be careful." I added one of my brightest smiles, before smirking as Nico stumbled off. I finished off the last of my apple juice, just as Brett switched seats and plopped down beside me in the seat that Nico had been sitting in.

"Yes?" I asked, still annoyed at him.

"Listen, I didn't know Nico was that good looking. In a way, it isn't my fault for being attracted to him." He smiled.

"What are you getting at?"

"I'm trying to say I won't give up. Until Nico is officially off the market, I'm going to try to win his heart. And we all know his heart is part of his body." Brett finished seeming slightly dazed.

I grit my teeth in anger. "You're making this a competition?"

"Nico is quite the prize." He smiled lazily.

"Nico isn't an object and you shouldn't speak about him like that. He's a demigod just like us!" I raised my voice a little.

Brett looked shocked. "Did you just yell at me? I don't think I've ever heard you yell..."

"I guess I've never really had a reason to until now." I sobered up a bit. I was still mad at him, but arguing like children wouldn't solve anything.

"Whatever." Brett rolled his eyes before returning to his original seat. I sighed, trying to clear my head before the game of capture the flag. I closed my eyes for a second to compose myself, and when I opened them I was face to face with Chiron.

"Are you feeling well?"

I nodded. "I'm fine, just a bit stressed."

"Who isn't nowadays?" He always managed to diffuse tension.

"Apollo cabin is on team..." I trailed off hoping he'd fill in the blank.

"Red. Your team is meeting at Zeus' fist. Good luck!" Chiron smiled before continuing on to the next table. I turned back to the rest of my cabin mates and found everyone looking at me. I could almost see the question marks swirling around their brains.

"Red. We meet at Zeus' fist." I answered the unasked question before getting up from the table and heading to the cabin to get ready. The walk there was short and quiet without Nico by my side. I missed the cold that seemed to cancel out my heat when we we were together. It was refreshing. I felt a smile form on my face as I opened the door to my cabin. I hadn't been here in a few days and just seeing the cabin in impeccable shape make me glow with happiness. Everyone's bunk was spotless, all the beds made up nicely. It was nice to know that my cabin mates could keep it clean even when I wasn't there. I walked over to my bunk and pulled out my chest from under my bed. I slowly put on my armour, tightening it so it would fit snugly. After everything was perfect, I pulled out a small picture out of the back corner of the chest. It was old with a chunk missing out of the top right corner, but that didn't make it worthless. In fact, it was probably my most valuable possession. I felt a few tears gather in my eyes as I looked down at the faded colours of the photograph. The people in the picture took no notice of my tears, and kept smiling like they had won the lottery. My mother always looked happy. Despite working multiple jobs to pay for food and rent, she never complained. And I knew just how hard it could be to look after kids, but my mom never stopped trying. She would do everything in her power to make my little sister and I happy. My little sister looked just like my mom with curly blond hair and tanned skin. Her cheeks were covered in freckles from all he time spent outside. Standing in the middle of the photo was me. I had been so much shorter back then. Back when I had no idea who my father was. I slid the picture back in the chest before putting the chest away. I had to keep everything neat. As I sat down on my bed I saw a small wrapper stuffed under the bed beside me. I immediately burst into tears. It wasn't so much the fact that things were out of place, it was the possibility that the past could repeat itself. I couldn't lose anyone else. I stood up and picked up the wrapper depositing it in the garbage can as I tired to wipe my tears away. But just like when mother and sister died, I couldn't stop the tears from falling. If only mother would have moved sister's colouring book off the stove before making dinner...

----------------------------------------------

Will's problem with things being out of place makes a lot more sense now doesn't it.

I literally cried while writing the ending of this chapter. It was kind of awkward because I was on the train and people kept giving me strange looks. The things I do for you guys... Hahah

Anyways, if you liked this chapter, be sure to give it a vote! :D

Thoughts on Will's past?
Thoughts on Brett's competitive ways?
Thoughts on how capture the flag will go?

Question: if you could be any fictional character, who would you be and why?

Bonus question: what country are you from?
Answer: Canada :D

Until next time! -T :)