t h r e e

Soren found herself wandering the streets of Gotham at midnight, wondering why she suddenly felt the need to work. Torres hadn't given her anyone to kill in a while, only the occasional threatening of people's lives.

"God I really do need a new boss." She mumbled, kicking an empty pop can across the sidewalk. Without realizing, she found herself standing on the steps leading up to Gothams Cathedral. She wondered if she had blacked out and walked there because the last thing she remembered was kicking a can in upper east side.

Soren often felt drawn to the old church, like there was an external force pulling her to it. Maybe she liked the fact that because it was abandoned, there was never anyone there, or maybe it was something else. Either way, she marched up the steps and into the run down building.

Like usual, she found her way to the confessional, where she sat in silence for a few minutes before speaking up.

"Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned." She recited the words she had many times before, her voice slightly echoing.

"Yes, my daughter." The familiar coarse voice bellowed back, drawing out the 's' in the same snake-like way it always had. "What is it this time?"

"I want to kill." Her voice was plain and calm as if the sentence was normal. "I haven't killed anyone in weeks and I can feel this voice inside of me, taunting me to do it."

"You must listen to your inner voices and fulfill their every urge and wish."

"Yes, Father." She nodded and stood to leave.

As she left the church, she pulled out her phone and checked to see if she had any hit requests. She had written in her notes the odd request she would receive from people and noticed that the only one not complete was from two days earlier.

Dallas Todd, 47th First Street, $18k

Soren observed her surroundings and noticed the address was only a few blocks away, deciding to make her way there. She had already been wearing her work gear from earlier that day.

As she made her way there, she wondered what this guy had done for someone to want him dead. She had made it a rule to never ask about the details because, well, the less she knew, the better. Sometimes people would tell her anyway.

Typically, people hired hits on abusive or cheating significant others, but she had come across plenty of messed up reasons.

She arrived at the address and quickly cased the house. It was dark apart from the TV lighting up the living room and the coffee table was littered with trash.

Her target, Dallas Todd, sat on the couch in front of the TV. She slipped her mask on, not that she needed to hide her identity, she just liked the scared look on their faces.

She rolled her eyes as she slipped through an unlocked window, this was Gotham and people still hadn't learned how to lock their windows and doors. She didn't bother being discreet, assuming by the state of the house that this guy lived alone.

She stepped out of the shadows and in front of the TV. Dallas jumped up as he noticed her, quickly reaching to the side and grabbing a revolver.

Soren chuckled slightly as she kicked him in the stomach and hit his hand upward with her knee, causing the gun to go flying into the air.

She caught it with her right hand and it accidentally fired a shot that hit Dallas in the foot. He fell back onto the couch and screamed in pain, cradling his bleeding foot.

"Oops." Soren mumbled. Truthfully, it wasn't her fault. Dallas had a habit of using guns that didn't have sufficient safety triggers, such as the single round revolver.

"W-who are you? What do you want?" Dallas asked, his voice shaky from a combination of fear and pain.

"Daddy?" A small voice cried out.

Soren looked up to see a young girl, she was maybe 10 or 12, standing at the bottom of the stairs wearing PJs and clutching a teddy bear.

The gun-for-hire girl wondered if she was getting rusty, she hadn't even heard the child come down.

"Go back to sleep Trina, everything's all right." Dallas said, eyeing the woman in front of him, as if begging her not to harm his daughter.

Soren watched as the girl went back upstairs, but she could tell she had likely been watching from the top of the stairs and had already called the cops.

"Shit." She whispered, hearing the front door open behind her.

"GCPD! Drop your weapon!"

Soren tossed the gun aside and turned to look at the cops. Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock stood before her with their guns drawn.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Dallas' daughter watching from the top of the stairs.

Soren was the fastest hitman in Gotham, even including Victor Zsasz. So when she pulled a gun from its holster, the two detectives in front her didn't have time to react before she shot Dallas between the eyes and dropped a card onto his body.

She dove out the window she had left open and somersaulted onto the pavement, landing firmly on her feet. She took off into the dark streets, knowing they wouldn't be able to catch up to her. She took off her mask and clipped it onto her belt.

Bck at her victims house, Jim Gordon called for an ambulance and an APB on Soren.

Jim ran a hand through his hair and sighed as he looked at the scene before him. Noticing a rectangle paper laying next to Dallas, he picked it up and examined it. It was a black and white tarot card, 'the devil' card. He had seen it before at other murders in the past few months.

It was the calling card of Soren Striker, The Devils Daughter.