Chapter Sixteen: The Charity Gala

“You look beautiful,” Cesc said taking Penelope’s hand, he kissed her softly knowing that he wasn’t going to be able to keep his hands of her; she looked stunning in her sky blue A-line halter sash split front zipper-up long evening dress that she had paired with gold glitter heeled sandals.

Penelope blushed allowing Cesc to lead her into the hotel ballroom where the Chelsea charity gala was being held; she was very aware of the fact that people were taking pictures of them.

“Cesc,” called a voice making Penelope peek around, she wasn’t familiar with a lot of Cesc’s team-mates; this was their first official appearance as a couple.

Cesc wrapped an arm around Penelope as he spotted Oscar approaching the couple with his wife, he’d managed to peek at the seating chart for the gala and they were sat on the same table.

Oscar smiled at the couple, he was a little surprised that Cesc had brought his girlfriend with him; he didn’t know much about Penelope but he had heard from Diego that they had only started dating two weeks ago after a long time of being just friends.

“Penny… this is Oscar and his wife Ludmila,” Cesc said introducing his girlfriend to his friend, he didn’t know how anyone would react to the fact that he had brought Penelope to the gala.

Ludmila squealed in excitement before she quickly moved to shake Penelope’s hand, she was a massive fan of the brunette’s and had all of her books.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Ludmila said making Oscar chuckle, he had known that his wife of three years would be excited to meet someone like Penelope; it wasn’t often that he got to do something like that for her.

“I have all of your books,” Ludmila gushed, she couldn’t help herself since she had been so close to not coming tonight in favour of staying at home with their daughter.

***

“You two are so cute,” Toni Terry teased watching as Cesc stole another kiss from Penelope, she couldn’t believe how sweet the spaniard was with his girlfriend; it was hard to believe that they hadn’t been dating that long.

Cesc grinned looking at his girlfriend, she blushed a little realising that people were staring at them; Penelope wasn’t sure why she was a surprised about that fact.

“Why can’t you be more like Cesc?” Toni asked turning to her husband John, she smiled knowing that it had been a long time that they had been together while Cesc and Penelope were in the honeymoon phase of their relationship.

The table laughed a little, it was a peaceful evening and it was all for charity; something that meant the footballers got to relax with their partners for the evening.

“So Penelope you’re a writer,” Didier Drogba said sipping on his wine, he had gathered little information about the woman that was before him; he was curious about Penelope especially since Cesc hadn’t said much about her to anyone that he had asked about her.

Penelope nodded her head, she eyed the footballer that was sat near her, she didn’t know why but she could see that he was wary about her; she hadn’t really spoken to him and now he was quizzing her.

“I am,” Penelope said while Cesc peeked at Drogba, he wasn’t sure what the older man was doing but he didn’t want him upsetting Penelope; he hadn’t shared a lot about him dating her for a reason.

Cesc laced his fingers with Penelope’s, he had tried to keep things relaxed when it came to Penelope; he only spoke to Diego about his relationship with her.

“Anything I would have read?” Drogba asked ignoring his wife as she elbowed him in the ribs, Diakité Lalla frowned at him wishing that he didn’t have to quiz every woman that came to these galas that he didn’t know.

Penelope frowned, she wasn’t stupid and she could see that Drogba was trying to find a reason not to like her; the table was filling with tension and it was starting to get awkward.

“Nothing you would have read,” Penelope said trying not to cause any trouble since it had been a nice night; she wasn’t like the gold-diggers that Drogba feared leeching in on the club.

Cesc kissed Penelope, he didn’t truly know much about Ivory Coast footballer; he wasn’t close friends with him like he was with the other Spanish and Brazilian footballers.

Drogba frowned, he had heard all about how Cesc had been dumped at the altar and he didn’t want his team-mate getting hurt; they needed to focus on the season if they wanted to win.

“I’ve read so many of her books Accidentally in Love… Holding Her, Loving You… My Kind of Love… she’s amazing,” Ludmila said jumping in to defend Penelope, a lot of the other women nodded their heads in agreement.

Cesc blinked surprised, he knew that Penelope had managed to right one book but he’d had no idea that she’d written three so far; he was proud of her for living her dream.

***

“We better be getting home to Lia,” Penelope mused peeking at the clock, it was getting late and they needed to relieve the babysitter; she smiled at Cesc who nodded his head, it was time for them to head home.

The couple quietly bid goodnight to everyone else at their table with promises that the women should all get together soon; Ludmila wanted to keep her new friend and she was determined to get to know Penelope more.

Cesc ignored the look that Drogba gave him, he didn’t care what the other man thought; he was happy and he wasn’t going to risk that.

“Did you have fun tonight?” Cesc asked as they slowly made their way out of the hotel, the valet moving to collect their car so that they could go home for the night.

Penelope nodded her head and cuddled into Cesc’s arms, it was chilly out and she wished that she’d brought a wrap or something; she smiled as Cesc held her close to keep her warm.

“I did,” Penelope replied with a tired smile, she couldn’t wait to get home and climb into bed; she wouldn’t even be surprised if Cesc opted to stay with her.

Cesc pressed a kiss to the top of her head, he held her close until the valet appeared with his Ferrari 458 Italia; he moved to open the door for Penelope so that she could get inside without any issues.

Cesc smiled watching her for a moment, he had no idea what he would have done without her; she was everything to him right now and he was glad that he had her.

Penelope raised an eyebrow at Cesc when he climbed into the driver’s side, she pulled on her seatbelt curious about what had him smiling now; she had realised that he had been smiling a lot recently.

“What?” Cesc asked noticing that Penelope was staring at him, she smiled before leaning across the console to kiss him; she brushed her fingers through his hair.

Penelope pulled back allowing Cesc to pull on his seatbelt, he watched her curiously before he shook his head; he wasn’t surprised that things were going so well for them and he wasn’t going to jinx it.

Cesc slowly pulled away from the hotel, he was due to see Daniella next week about custody and it wasn’t going to be easy; he wasn’t going to let her take away his daughter.