Chapter 2

I donned on a simple pink swath wrapped about me toga like. It was short above the knees and its pastle pink brought out the flush of health hidden in the paleness of my skin.

I walked out to greet my guests pleased that I had any at all. Any would do really to distract me from my mundane existence. I didn't see what the fuss was all about, this need for me to access my full potential. I did nothing at all with it. Nothing but crave for more of everything. More, more, more!

Looking at the delectable William standing so innocently in my private apartments made me just want that much more.

I forced a farce of a grin onto my face hoping the grimace it produced was welcoming enough.

But as I neared the elusive scent of a tainted one still clinging about him drew all reason out of my mind. I moved in a speed that was entirely unbecoming and a moment later found myself wrapped limbs and all about his tall still frame. I burrowed my face into the crook of his neck breathing in his scent drooling over what he had been carting along with him. Tainted souls. Not one but many. He positively reeked with them. I rubbed myself against him purring contentedly like a cat who's gotten her cream.

William staggered back before collapsing onto a lounging chair with me seated on his lap. I pushed closer trying to draw in as much of the illusive scent of the tainted ones off him as I could. That he also smelt of recent sex didn't help matters. So that it took several calls before he finally had my attention.

"Sara?" He whispered hoarsely as I snuggled further into his warmth entirely lost to reason.

"Sara!" He bit out gently on a soft rush of air as he breathed out unevenly against my nuzzling search for my pleasure.

"Stop!" He said finally jerking me out of the haze of lust I was in. I drew back sharply then suddenly aware of what I was about. At whom I had been about. One did not knowingly cling to Death as I had just been doing.

And he was death now. Back to work full force. He positively reeked of it.

"What? What's happening?" I asked finally needing to know.

"There has been an unrest. A disturbance. Humans killing humans. In the middle east. They do so in the name of god. But we both know that the doors to heaven is forever shut to those who take lives in his name. So I have been taking them to your mother."

I nodded my head understandingly biting back the envy his words had roused. But I did keep abreast of the going ons in the human world. It was sad to think I actually revelled in the upheavals of their peace. It meant more death for me. More tainted souls even if it was mother who was enjoying the feast.

I sighed before reluctantly moving to clamber off my perch on his lap. His hold on my hips tightened imperceptibly jerking my gaze to clash back with his. I read a want there. A want I returned in favour but I knew that want would not end well for either of us. And his was a friendship I couldn't afford to lose. Simply because his was the only one I still had.

I got off his lap and called on to Yiu for refreshments.

A bottle of cultured red spiced wine appeared before us with two stems of wine glasses in tow. I poured us both a drink and took a deep draught the brew myself before risking a speech.

"So what brings you here?" I finally asked.

William visited but infrequently and usually with some favour to ask. He had taken on some charitable concerns of recent years no doubt due to his present love interest. A known socialite who used her celebrity status to serve the poor.

"I want you to stop it," he said simply.

I stared at him cluelessly. "Stop what?"

"Stop the war in the middle east!"

I stared at him in shock at that. Who knew after all that has happened that I was still capable of feeling shocked.