Chapter Five

A week later, before daybreak, the fleet dropped anchor in the middle of the river and Katia's vessel pulled into the channel alone.

It was almost daybreak when the boat pulled to shore in the town of Adlegaurd. The moon was sinking under the crest of the water and the sun's rays were spreading its reach across the red tiled rooftops as the ropes were tied to a withered, old dock. The wood creaked and strained to hold the boat close. Katia had instructed the other boats to drop anchor a few miles down the river. Gypsies weren't welcome in Adlegaurd. They weren't completely forbidden from entering the town, but it was against the law for them to do business. They were considered a nuisance to proper merchants and traders. Better to be in and out with their business as quickly and as quietly as possible.

"Alright," Katia said once they were all ashore. "This town is one giant market place. It might be hard to find the man, but trust me, he wouldn't miss the chance to haggle and barter over anything. He'll be here. We just have to spread out to find him. We'll meet back here by sundown and not a minute after. Ya hear me boys?" Katia barked, eyeing them warningly.

"Not a minute after," Sawyer echoed.

"Now ya all remember the description I gave you?"

"Yes, Mama Kat," they chimed in unison, shaking their heads.

"You'll be hard pressed to find someone who's seen him, but ya can look for yerselves. Keep yer eyes open and git going now. No sense in wasting time dithering around here."

And at that, they headed out to the market.

#

Ness lined the inside of his coat with jewelry and small trinkets. He filled his many pockets with slightly larger baubles and took one final inventory. Bags were too easily sliced and snatched. He knew all too well the many ways to pilfer another man's wares without him noticing. No, no, his person was a much better idea. Any larger dealings could be arranged for another time. He patted his pockets, satisfied with his selections and headed out the door.

He was known around town as a retriever. Oh, not by face or by name, but by reputation and hearsay. There was a man who could acquire almost anything. You don't have to find him, he found you. And somehow, he always knew you were looking.

It wasn't an accident that those he had dealings with soon forgot what he looked like. They remembered their encounter, of course. He couldn't wipe their memories completely. He was not that strong. But, their recollections of his image appeared hazy at best. What was the color of his hair? Was his nose angular or round? Was he tall and thin or short and stocky, or tall and stocky, or short and thin? It was as if a thick cloud hung over his features.

He took his time strolling through the market, eyeing potential marks for future dealings. Occasionally, he'd tap someone mildly on the shoulder and they'd follow him behind a stall or into an alley. They'd do their business swiftly and his load would be a little lighter and his purse a little fatter. All in all, it was shaping up to be a good day, an easy day...until...was that a gypsy boy he saw round the corner? He scurried through the crowd, keeping out of sight. He peered warily around the corner but the boy has disappeared into the crowd.

He had worked very hard to make sure the gypsies weren't welcome in Adlegaurd. They interfered with his luck and his business. He asked around, but no one had seen a flock of boats arrive, only a few lone ships, most likely travelling merchants and passenger boats. Maybe it hadn't been a gypsy after all. But, the hairs on the back of his neck stood up and he couldn't shake a chill despite the heat. He decided to get a bite to eat before selecting his next mark and entered the nearest cafe with an empty table.