She cleared her throat, " Six had green eyes, one, the one apart from the others, had eyes that turned red."

Abdiel's face was unreadable, he said, "red, are you absolutely sure?"

She nodded.

Abdiel closed his eyes and asked, "Did he have something in his hand?"

"He had something in his hand that glowed red too."

Abdiel turned and walked quickly out of the room. Ashur watched him go, confused. Why would he bring up something that obviously pained Cass to talk about? Why woul h be so concend about one of Cassandra's dreams? He never had been before.

"Ashur! In here now!" came the shouted command from the kitchen.

Ashur looked down at his miserable looking sister. She pulled away from him, silently telling him to follow his father's command. Sighing, he lifted himself up and walked into the other room. He froze at what he saw.

His father had turned the table on its side and laid it against the far wall. He had taken the heavy iron stove and dragged it to the where the table had been. The contents of both the bowls that were kept on the table and those that had been set on the stove were strewn across the floor. Abdiel was prying up the floor where the stove had once been with his boot knife. The scene was so completely unexpected and irrational that for a few moments Ashur just stood there with his mouth open. His father glanced up at him as he tore up the first floorboard.

"Son, I need you to saddle the horses and get them ready."

Ashur blinked, "Dad, what--?"

"Ashur, go get the horses ready right now!" shouted Abdiel. By now he had pried up three floorboards revealing a compartment that Ashur hadn't know existed. It was odd because he had helped build the house. It was beyond him how his father managed to build a secret compartment without his knowledge. His father was removing oilskin sacks from the hole in the foundation.

Ashur began collecting himself and trying to sort through what was rapidly becoming a very bizarre experience. He walked into the stables, saddled Champion and Dependable, and took them to the front of the house. After tying them to a post he walked back inside.

His father had organized the sacks and pouches hidden beneath the floor into two unequal piles. Seeing his son walk through the door, he rose to his feet. He was dressed. Ashur had no idea how the man had changed so quickly. He wore all black; leather belts crisscrossed his chest and waste. His black leather breeches and coat were lined with sheepskin. He had taken a black cloth and tied it off covering the top of his head. His blue eyes sizzled with a burning energy that made Ashur believe that they were all in terrible danger.

"Son, change into travel clothes. Quickly!" he said carrying the pouches and sacks out and stuffing them into the saddlebags of the two horses. Ashur walked into his room that he shared with his father and began to change. He chose his own sheepskin-lined coat and breeches assuming that his father, who was the only one who knew their destination, had chosen his wardrobe wisely. He dressed and when he had sheathed his daggers and boot knife he walked back out.

Cassandra was standing alone in the midst of the mess that had been the dining room and kitchen. She had changed and was wearing warm travel gear. She stood looking lost and afraid, her gray eyes staring at nothing Ashur could see. Her hair was wild and flung about in all directions.

She turned towards him with a haunted expression that seemed to cling to her reddened, tearstained, face. Just looking at her made him want to comfort her, but before he could make a move Abdiel was back inside holding two carefully wrapped packages.

He thrust one of the packages at his son who took it tentatively. Then he tore open the other to reveal a sheathed broadsword. It was of simple make and design. The scabbard and hilt of the sword were all as black as his father's clothing. Black dyed leather carefully treated and meticulously cared for. Ashur opened his own to reveal a sword identical to the one his father held. The sword was well made and the weight felt good as he hefted it and buckled it to his waist. His father fastened his own to his back. Then he stood straight and looked at his children and in a calm voice he began to speak,

"We are being hunted. Cassandra's dream is a true dream," he said, then paused, looking at his son. "Our only chance is to leave now." He walked over to the center of the floor and picked up one pouch that he had not taken out with the others,

"I have reason to believe that the green eyed men that she saw are creatures called Rashakas; They are a sort of demonic bloodhound. The powder in this pouch is the only thing that can mask our blood scent once they find it, which they will." He handed the pouch to Ashur,

"Our best chance is to split up I'll take the south road and you two will go north. I have other instructions for you packed in your gear. You two will take Champion; ride him fast. Do not stop for any reason until you reach the river docks. Count to sixty once you start riding then sprinkle this powder over yourselves and the horse. I'll meet up with you in the place I mentioned in the instructions."

Then he put his hand on each of their shoulders and drew them close his big arms wrapped around them, "watch out for each other. Keep each other safe." He whispered. Then he turned and was out the door.

Ashur grabbed his sister and ran out after him, a thousand questions burning through his mind. Demon Bloodhounds? Ride to the river docks? What was going on?

Abdiel was untying Dependable as they came out. He looked up at them and began to turn away, then he stopped. Turning back around he strode over to Cass and knelt down in front of her. Even kneeling he was enormous compared to the little girl. He held up his hand to Ashur gesturing him to back away. Ashur reluctantly complied, watching from a distance. His father whispered something in his daughter's ear and she closed her eyes. There was a flash of steel. Abdiel whipped out a small cloth to clean up the blood from a small cut he had sliced into Cass's finger. Ashur started forward, but this time Cass held up her other hand to stop him. Their father bound up the cut. Then he arose and in two strides and one seamless movement he was mounted and galloping away towards the south road.

Ashur tucked the pouch away and joined Cassandra who was already running over to Champion. Ashur picked her up and placed her on the back of the huge stallion, then he mounted behind her and began racing down the overgrown, unkempt road heading north. The horse must have sensed something behind them for Ashur had never seen him go so fast. He gripped the reins loosely allowing them to pick up speed.

Normally it would be reckless and irresponsible to ride a horse at this pace in the dead of night. Particularly on any road in or near Bordertown, but Ashur felt something too. He had a thousand questions about what was chasing them and why and how his father was involved but there was a cold feeling in the pit of his stomach that kept him from doubting his father's instructions. Something was after them and it was dangerous.

He counted to sixty slowly in his head. Then he pulled the reigns and stopped the horse. Pulling out the pouch that his father had given him he opened it. Inside was what looked like black sand, and a folded up piece of parchment. He sprinkled half the contents on himself, his sister, and the horse, pocketed the pouch once more and rode off into the night.