CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

ESTHER DIKEH

"Thanks for choosing FashionFairly Apparels, ma'am. I promise you won't regret this deal",

"You're good at what you do and keep it up. I'll have to be on my way now before I hit Lagos traffic ",

"Oh, sure. Do enjoy the rest of your day, ma'am ",

I extend a handshake and she accepts it.

Soon, she's walking towards the door and I see her no more.

I retire to my seat and relax trying to recollect myself after such a busy day at work. I still have bulk documents to review and I've not even started. Just great!

Vera is the next thing that comes to my mind. She's so much in love with this Jeffrey of a boy. If only she knows that Jeffrey is her half-brother.

She will be heartbroken, devastated, betrayed, pained or any other awful word you can think of to describe an awful situation.

What can ever be hidden under the sun?

You really can't play fate. Whatever that is bound to happen will most definitely happen.

I've been keeping this a secret for twenty years now without knowing that somewhere behind the scenes, fate was unraveling all I've kept hidden.

Soon, the kids are going to find out. But soon shouldn't be now or anytime soon. I'm just not ready to face the shame. I'm not ready to watch my children hate me.

I'll be ready to tell them on my death bed but not now. I need some time!

Lord in heaven, I know I'm a sinner but please let this cup pass me by. I'm not ready yet. Please I just need more time. I still have plans for my kids.

Everything I've ever worked for will be ruined if my secret gets out. I can't bear my kids hating me for lying to them.

But all I did was for their own good. I suffered for them. I birthed them and trained them all alone. I've done so much for them, Lord. But just this one thing I ask of you. I need more time.

The AC is on but I'm sweating heavily. My palms are shaking and my body temperature is increasing. I feel a clog on my forehead, it aches badly.

I take a deep breathe and open my handbag and take out my drugs and gulp it down with a glass of water.

I didn't bother to count how many capsules I took. All that matters is that I had my medication.

************************************

VERA DIKEH

It's been a week and few days since mom seized my phone and I haven't heard from Jeffrey. I'm really worried and restless and so is Jeffrey or maybe not.

It's a very boring Saturday. I'm all alone at home doing nothing but stare blank in space thinking of how to get in touch with Jeffrey.

A thought came to me; going over to the Adam's and using Olivia's phone to reach Camille and probably I can get in touch with the love of my life.

But am I going to do it? Not a chance!

Why? For no credible reason or maybe for some reason I spaced Olivia. She has to deal with her own shits while I deal with mine.

You know what I'm talking about, don't you? The fact that she's now a sex freak and I, the only good girl alive. I feel like I'd be infected if I keep being around her. She's more like a disease now. It sucks, right?

I rob my palms against my face and exhale deeply. I really have more important things to think about and so not Olivia. She's like the fifth on my list.