Chapter 9

A/N: Hey guys!! I am so sorry it has taken me so long to upload! I have been really busy lately!! Here is an extra long chapter to make up for the time you have waited! Thank you so much and dont forget to commet, vote and fan! :D

Copyright: I do not own the Hunger Games or Haymitch and Effie!!

When I wake up it is dark outside, there is a slight purple and orange tinge to the sky suggesting that it is only just sunset. I leave my room and go down the hall to find Ellie asleep on the couch, I shake her awake and half drag, half carry her to her room. I then walk to the lounge room and sit down where Ellie had been lying previously, I switch on the TV and Caesar Flickerman appears right away. He is sitting at the big interview desk with 4 large screens positioned behind him. Each screen shows a few different groups of tributes, one showing what is left of the careers, another showing Haymitch and Maysliee making their way through the maze. Caesar is giving the audience a quick rundown on what has happened in the last few hours, sometimes I swear he does it just for me, which is impossible of course.

Maysliee and Haymitch have made a fine team, dividing their food and weapons, sharing tips about the natural habitat and its poisons and information on the other tributes. They have managed to make progress through the maze and the camera shows how close they are to the other end of the maze, which I must say is impressively close. As Caesar talks I shift my focus to the screens, Haymitch and Maysliee seem to be setting up a camp for the night. As I watch the two talk and smile I can’t help but feel jealousy start to boil in the pit of my stomach, completely irrational and selfish on my part. I shouldn’t feel jealous of Maysliee because she is talking to Haymitch and spending time with him, because, after all only one can live.

I change my focus to another screen, but as luck has it just as I completely focus I witness the death of another two tributes. This time at the hand of two careers, a boy from 2 and girl from 1, they cornered two tributes from district 6 and 7 against the back wall of a cave up in the mountains. All I can say is that it wasn’t a pretty death, blood and guts spill out from their bodies as they lay collapsed on the floor. Those careers know how to kill brutally and efficiently.

I turn the television off and head back to my room, no matter how long I slept before I was exhausted. I quickly slip into bed and snuggle into my sheets, wishing myself to dream of something happy like being in Haymitch’s perfect arms, his kiss. But my bad luck hasn’t left me yet; I hear my door creak open and the light from the corridor pour into my bedroom.

“Who is it?”  I ask sleepily, not even attempting to move to investigate the intruder.

“Me.” I still, I know that voice, but the owner hasn’t been in my room since I was younger.

“What do you want?” I ask, keeping my voice neutral, not letting my curiosity creep in as I turn to face them.

“I’m scared, can I sleep with you tonight?” asks my sister, her face pale and expression worn.

“Of course, Ellie” I say moving over as far as possible in my bed. “Why are you scared?”

“I had a nightmare, one about mother and father.” Ellie says, her voice shaking. “Father came home one night and he was so mad, mad at mother for something. She was crying and saying it wasn’t her fault, she didn’t mean for it to happen and then father hit her. Right across the face and she fell to the floor. I was standing in the doorway watching, but I couldn’t look away and I don’t know why. Mother was crying harder and saying that she was sorry and father told her to get rid of it, but I didn’t know what it was. Mother clutched her stomach and was saying no over and over again. Then father grabbed her by the hair and twisted her head, I looked away then but I still heard the crack. He killed her, Effie” Ellie cries, sobbing uncontrollably.