Fragments of Comfort

Steven's P.O.V

"Now, can you take me to her please?" I ask in the most polite way possible.

"Of course!" Blue Diamond exclaims eagerly.

She and the other Diamonds stand up, each of them looking equally thrilled. Then comes the hard part though, when Yellow, Blue, and White each individually hold down their hands for me to jump onto. I bit my and grit my teeth, not sure who's shoulder I should ride on. It's like when you're all alone on the swing-set and a crowd of girls stand below asking you who out them all is the prettiest. Nobody'll be heartbroken if you say that it's all of them. Trust me, I've had it happen firsthand. Nevertheless with this situation, I choose Blue, since I've always kinda looked up to her as a mother figure. Forget Pink and her obscene lying. Blue's soft, gentle, and loving nature is an easy pick and a very welcoming personality for someone who'd be me on in my position. Blue raises me up to her hooped hair, but before I sit down, I float over to Yellow and White and give each of them a kiss on the cheek so they won't feel left out. The strict ruler and the shining empress both blush out of embarrassment, more used to doling out affection themselves than to have it replicated onto them by someone else.

But, I settle down on Blue's hair, which is remarkably soft by the way, and hold on as she starts heading down a side hallway. Yellow and White trail behind us, keeping a close eye on me to probably make sure they'd be able to help if I was in danger. It's cause to make anyone smile considering how thoughtful and caring they've become. I'll admit that each of the three were a bit hard to work with, but I have the most important tool on my side. Patience. Anything can be completed as long as you're patient with them. Sure, the Diamonds were cold and had their feelings locked away deep inside them, but nothing I couldn't handle after spending about two years or so working with them. I'd say it was a success too, cus now the colonies are dismantled and they're all a a lot happier.

"Pardon me asking this, my little Star, but is the reason you've come to see Spinel because of some internal infatuation you humans have?" White kindly asks, speaking to me from Blue's right.

Getting up, I hop over to Blue's shoulder so I can make better eye contact.

"Well...you're partially right, White. I do have these...feelings for Spinel, but they're deeper than just infatuation. Infatuation is just falling for someone because they look like the spinning image of beauty or something, but what I have is called love. Love runs deeper in humans, as well as Gems too, and is a more devoted and serious type of romantic attachment to someone" I explain.

"Hmm, interesting" White says, putting her hand to her chin in thought.

"But is this the same kind of affection that you taught us to have, or is something else? It sounds very similar, is all" Yellow inquires.

She's on Blue's other side, so, internally groaning, I hop onto Blue's head, which makes her giggle for some reason, then hop down carefully onto her left shoulder where I can talk to Yellow better.

"It's a little bit different than what I told you about, Yellow. What I have towards Spinel is a textbook Romeo and Juliet scenario. Wait, you guys don't know what that is....ummmmmm....ok, think about it like this: when you have this kind of love coursing throughout yourself, you want to be near the person that's the core of these feelings and never leave their side. You'd do anything to be with them and stand against anyone who gets in between you two" I describe.

"Oh! You mean a future mate?" Blue asks, joining the conversation.

"Eh.....eeeeee.....yeahhhh" I grin uncomfortably, not completely sure about it but not wanting to explain it much more.